a kiss

Lily and Henry were 20 and living in Dystopia. They were apartment neighbors and didn't particularly like each other. She knocked on his apartment door. Henry opened the door looking at her impatiently.

"What do you want, Lily?"
"Can you help me..?"
"With what?"
"I'm trying to build a bookshelf."
Henry rolled his eyes. "Did you even try to Google how to do it before coming over here, Lily?"
"Please!"
"Fine!"

They went to her apartment, starting to work on the bookshelf. He started sorting through the box of shelf parts occasionally glancing at Lily, trying not to show his annoyance. 20 minutes later, it was starting to get hot. Lily took off her dressing gown, revealing her body in a crop top and nike shorts. Henry glanced at Lily, trying to focus on the instructions, feeling himself starting to blush.

"Do you want a drink?"
Henry looked at her, surprised by the offer. "Yeah, thanks."
"Coke?"
"Please."
She brought him a can of coke from the fridge.
"Thanks."

He took a sip of the cold drink, feeling it cool him down both internally and externally. As they continued working on the bookshelf, their interactions became less hostile, fueled by shared frustration and the need for assistance.

Henry finished his coke and set it aside, trying to focus on the task at hand. "So, what's your plan for once the bookshelf is built?"
"I'm gonna put books on it, genius.."
"Well, duh. But like, what kind of books? Fiction, non-fiction or a mix?"
"Fiction, I guess..?"
"I'm just making conversation."
"You dont have too."

"Can you just pass me the screwdriver?"
She walked over to the tool bag, crouching down and handing him the screwdriver.
"Thanks."
He finished building the bookshelf.
"There. Done."
He stood up, stretching his arms. "Not too bad, huh?"
"Thanks.. how much cash do you want?"

"Three hundred-thousand." He replied.
"Very funny. But seriously, how much do I owe you?"
"Well, considering it only took me an hour or so, I think I deserve at least half a million."
"Henry!"
"What!?"
"Stop pissing about!"

"Fine, fine. You could give me a kiss and we'll call it even?"
"For the love of God, Henry! How much do I owe you?"
"I wasn't joking."
"Huh?"
"I wasn't joking about the kiss."
"You want me to pay you in kisses?"
"Yeah, or half a mil."
"Why?"
"Because I'm worth it, aren't I?" He smirked, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"No."
"Well, can I at least have half a million then? Or do you really just hate me that much?"
"I hate you that much."
"Alright, alright. No kisses." Henry laughed.
"Why do you want to kiss me?"
"Because you're hot." He winked at her.
"Because I'm wearing shorts
and a tank top?"
"Well, that helps." He shrugged. "But really, you're just irresistible."
"And you're saying all this now
because..?"
"Because it's fun to tease you, and you never seem to catch on."

He grinned, enjoying the playful banter between them. "Now, about that half a million.." He started.
"Get out my apartment."
"Fine. Bye, Lily."

He turned around, a hint of a smirk still playing on his lips as he left her apartment. As he walked away, he couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at the thought of Lily trying to resist him. A few days later. They bumped into eachother while getting mail. He kicked the back of her knee, making her fall.

"Idiot!" She exclaimed.
"Hey, it was an accident." He helped her up, brushing off her shirt. "Besides, you've still got some making up to do." He winked playfully.
"I'm not kissing you."
"Oh, come on, Lily. I'm a big boy, I can handle it." He grinned, trying to make light of the situation. "Just a little peck on the cheek."
"I'Il kiss you if you promise to stop blasting music at every opportunity."
"Deal. No more music blasting, and you can give me a kiss. Fair enough?"