Famous First Words

a/n : read until the end for notes & special stuff
__________________________________

Mikey Way, at age ten, knew that he was going to have a big problem with his big brother.

With his father out of the picture, and his mother trying to cover up that fact, Mikey had his older brother, Gerard, as his only company. And Mikey didn't know that ten year olds weren't used to seeing their fourteen year old brothers try and steal the gun from their mother's bed side table, or steal her Advil pills, or try and hide the kitchen knife underneath their pillows.

Gerard didn't know that either, because his mother liked to cover up the fact of their lying, cheating father with cookies and telling Mikey that everything would be alright one day. Mikey had an obsession with Star Wars and not taking baths, and Gerard hated his father's guts and wanted to die right before he entered high school.

Mikey tried making his brother get up in the mornings, shaking his shoulders to wake him up, but Gerard didn't want to. Gerard didn't want to do anything.

- - -

And four years later, at age eighteen, with messy black hair and short bitten fingernails, Gerard Way was little different than he had been. His interests were drawing (alone), dyeing his hair (alone), and watching horror movies (alone).

He had no friends, except that one kid Ray who always tried to get him to join the Chess Club, and quite frankly, he didn't give a damn. Like many things in his life.

"Hey, Gee, I was thinking that - "

"I'm not joining your fucking club, Toro," Gerard cut Ray's voice off, making the boy with the Afro frown.

"Come on! It'd be something to show your mom - "

"She's kind of done with me in every way."

"Well then, what about Mikey?" Ray prodded, following Gerard to the lunch table. Gerard ran a hand through his horribly messy hair. He set his food down on the table, looking back at Ray.

"No. I'm not joining a God damn club for my younger brother who's a freshman."

Ray sighed as he sat down next to Gerard. "Whatever, Way, you're such a buzzkill."

"Are we talking about my brother again?" Gerard heard Mikey's voice cut in the conversation. Mikey sat down across from the two older boys, smiling.

"Haha, very funny," Gerard mocked, taking a bite of his sandwich. Mikey rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. Oh! But there's this new kid who came into my third period class today and - "

"Is it that kid with the - " Ray motioned towards his hair and eyes. Mikey's eyes widened.

"Yes!" He smiled even wider. "And his name's Pete and," Mikey lowered his voice, leaning in to Gerard and Ray, "he's really fucking cute."

"His name is Pete," Gerard dead panned. "And what do you mean by," Gerard pointed to his eyes.

"Don't be an asshole. And it's eyeliner," Mikey practically squealed. "Look, look Gerard, there he is!"

Gerard turned around to see a short, black haired kid walking with a group of other teenagers, laughing. And he was about as emo as emo could get. "For real? Him?"

"Shut up! And stop looking at him so hard, he's gonna noti - shit!" Mikey groaned as Pete peeled away from his crowd and started walking towards the three of them. Gerard started laughing, making Mikey throw a water bottle at his older brother.

"He kinda looks like a tan raccoon," Ray muttered as Pete got closer. Mikey kicked his shin from under the table.

"Hey, you're Mikey, right?" Pete asked, smiling.