Cigarette Daydreams

"It's a bad day for your car to stop working," the short boy stated, holding a hand over his eyes to avoid the sun. Gerard rolled his eyes, pulling the cigarette from his mouth.

"Thank you."

"I'm Frank, by the way," the shorter of the two said, holding his hand out for Gerard. Gerard awkwardly shook it, putting the cigarette back into his mouth.

"Uh, Gerard. So...you don't know how to fix a car?"

"What? No, no, not at all."

"Well I'm not asking Bert because he'll ask for something in return and I don't have time for that and - "

"Ride with me, then."

Gerard raised his eyebrows. "I don't even know you."

Frank shrugged. "Then get to know me in my air conditioned car because it's hot as shit out here, yeah? It'll be like a joyride."

Frank slid in the front seat of his beat up excuse of a car, turning on the engine, opening the passenger door from the inside. He motioned for the taller boy to get in.

"Can I bring this?" Gerard nodded his head towards his cigarette.

"Dude, I smoke."

"See, I don't know you at all," Gerard stated again, getting into Frank's car. He leaned his head against the headrest. "What am I gonna do about my car?"

"I dunno, maybe someone will put it to good use and have sex in it tonight or something. Or you can call a pick up company and they can get it, whichever way you lean to."

"Kinky," Gerard blew smoke out of his mouth as a Frank pulled out of the gas station parking lot. "And why do you have three cardigans in the back seat of your car?"

"Sometimes I like to change it up."

Gerard looked at Frank. "For real?"

Frank tapped on the steering wheel, turning the corner. "For real. Where's your house?"

"A few miles down that road," Gerard pointed to the road to the left of them. Frank turned the car, Gerard watching as he did so. "Why're you doing this?"

Frank stopped at a red light. "Doing what?" He raised his eyebrows at Gerard.

"Taking a complete stranger home."

"Well I don't usually take cute stra - shit," Frank mumbled, his eyes glued to the road as soon as the light turned back to green. Gerard smirked, his cigarette still in the side of his mouth. He put one leg over his knee, looking back at Frank (who had a horribly red blush in his face at that point.)

"You think I'm cute?" Gerard pressed, watching as Frank gripped the steering wheel tighter.

"I - I mean, I think everyone is beautiful in their own way, I mean - "

"But cute?"

"Uh - um, which one is your house?" Gerard turned his eyes away from Frank, looking at the rows of houses before them.

"Keep driving," he said, leaning back in the seat. "It's the yellow one with the roses in the front."

"Is there a reason two teenage boys are making out on your porch?" Frank asked, pulling into the driveway. Gerard groaned, opening the car door and throwing his cigarette butt out on the concrete.

"Mikey!" he yelled, making the two boys separate from each other. "What's the raccoon kid doing here? It's been a day!"

Frank laughed from inside of his car. Gerard turned around to glare at him.