Nothing Is Perfect

As he laid in a bed that was not his own, staring at the dark ceiling and occasionally closing his eyes to think, Frank thought of how much of a mess Gerard was. It wasn't like he thought Gerard was a bad person, per say, but between the sporadic alcohol and drug plunges, there was something that needed to be done. Frank turned his head to face the other boy, who was sleeping next to him, hair an absolute mess and who smelled of cigarette smoke.

This was all turning into some horrible cliche, something that Frank hated. But in all reality, Frank had been enjoying the midnight drives, the way Gerard had the habit of putting his feet up in the dashboard, and how he'd actually had something to do recently, not just sit around and do homework and sit outside by himself.

Gerard woke up hours later to the alarm of his phone, grunting and momentarily forgetting that Frank had once again stayed the night and therefore stretching and smacking the other boy in the face with his arm.

"God dammit," Frank swore as the hit woke him up as well. He sat up, rubbing his face and looked around him. "You're taking the shower first because you smell like shit. And we have school."

"So kind," Gerard said sarcastically as he rolled out of the bed. He grabbed some clean shirt and jeans that had probably already been worn before.

"Don't take too long, though," Frank made sure to add before Gerard closed the bathroom door. Gerard rolled his eyes.

"We won't be late, calm down. Drink some coffee and put on a damn cardigan."

Frank flipped him off as Gerard laughed and disappeared into the bathroom.

- - -

Josh tapped his fingers against his soda can frowning at it as he did so. "I just - I just don't see how you managed to get an A in science just because you slept with the librarian? That's how you passed sophomore year?"

"He's in with the teachers," Ryan explained, "and so he's got ties, and he's obviously gay as fuck. So, that being said, he's always had a thing for Mr. Crawford - "

"Wait, wait," Christofer held up a finger as he swallowed a bite of his food, "the principal? Like, the Mr. Crawford?"

"Yes, now shit up and let me finish," Ryan huffed. "So as I was saying. Basically the librarian got in with the principal and knows the password to basically everything. And ta-da! Ryan is passing in a class he sucks at."

Brendon looked over, "not the only thing you were sucking at."

"Oh fuck off, we weren't together then."

"I'm so glad while you were doing that, I was actually dying of stress from studying," Josh said, finishing his soda. "Great."

"Back to the original subject, how does this connect to us winning five hundred dollars?" Frank asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh right. Well, the science teacher is wanting to raise money for more lab equipment, so she's heading up this talent show - Joe don't make that face - and the proceeds go to that equipment. But five hundred dollars of those proceeds also go to the winner - or winners of the show," Ryan explained. Gerard gave him a dead panned look.

"How does this help us?" he asked.

"Your car is still smoking out the engine, and I'm a good friend trying to get you easy money. And in the past week or so, I've heard Frank talk about owning a guitar, I know Mikey can do something with a bass, you sing pretty loudly in the locker rooms after P.E., and that kid Bob who smokes weed in the upstairs bathroom can drum a little."

"A band?" Frank butted in, giving Ryan a questioning look.

"Why not? Cover some Brand New song or something. To match your whole aesthetic," Christofer added in before Ryan could speak, shrugging.

"Mhm, well the show apparently isn't for a few weeks so that gives us time - if we do it. C'mon, Gerard, we have English to go to."

- - -

"Mikey barely knows anything on the bass. That Pete kid knows more," Gerard complained as he and Frank sat in Gerard's backyard. Frank handed him the lot cigarette.

"It's worth a shot, right?"

"Yeah, because we're not the weird kids already."

"I don't give a damn about what other people think."

Gerard laughed crossing his legs together as he sat in the lawn chair. He threw the cigarette to the ground. "You think I'm a mess, don't you?"

Frank paused for a moment. "Where'd you get that idea?"

"I know I am. And you think a lot at night, I can tell. You don't lay still. I've been getting better - well - kind of."

"I worry about you sometimes, yes. That doesn't mean I think you're a horrible mess of a person. I think sometimes you need someone to lean on. But that's not a bad thing. I quite like you like that."

"With messy hair, smoking one too many cigarettes, and hitting you in the face when I wake up? Gerard said in disbelieving tone.

"Exactly."

_____________________________________
a/n : this story has become hard for me to write, not too much inspiration. hopefully things get better with that. hope you're all enjoying life & thank you for reading this. ily.

- ash