You Need Love

"So... did you ever like your dad?" Frank asked the risky question, taking a drag from his cigarette. Gerard sighed, his head against the car and his eyes looking at the stars above them.

"Sometimes. He'd buy nice things for Christmas, he'd make Mom smile sometimes. But I don't think that makes me happy anymore."

"I feel you," Frank stated simply, handing his cigarette over to Gerard. The taller boy took a long drag, exhaling as he blew the grey smoke out of his mouth.

They'd been like this for a while, still looking at all of the stars, the air slowly getting colder, but Frank had too many cardigans in the back of his car, those being put to good use. Gerard had to admit that his hair was a true mess. It was in all of its jet black, wind blown, and cigarette smelling glory. But he didn't really care, because Frank's was the same. And he didn't mind it on Frank, so he hoped Frank didn't mind it on him.

"What you thinking about?" Frank broke the silence, with the exception of the crickets and frogs in the grass in the park. Gerard laughed a bit.

"My hair."

Frank raised an eyebrow. "Your hair?"

"And yours, too. Mine looks like shit, because it's all messy. But yours is messy too, but it looks nice like that and - oh did I just say that? Well mine also smells like cigarettes but I suppose yours smells like that too since - "

Frank grinned as he watched Gerard - tough, all black wearing, cigarette and weed smoking Gerard - get flustered over his hair. Gerard frowned, sitting up.

"Why're you smiling?"

"Because it's kinda cute when you're all," Frank motioned with his hands at Gerard, "flustered."

Gerard rolled his eyes. "Shut up. I'm not - I'm not cute. I'm everything but that."

"Is that what you tell yourself every morning and night?"

"What! Look at me... look what I'm wearing!"

Frank looked at the all black clothing, with the exception of his own purple cardigan on Gerard. "Intimidating."

"Is that sarcastic?" Gerard shot back, extinguishing the cigarette in the ashtray from Frank's car.

"What? Me? Never."

"Asshole."

Frank smiled, his eyes looking up at the stars before flickering back to the boy beside him. Gerard frowned, rolling his hazel eyes again.

"You're a lot more than you think, you know that right?"

"You're really good at romanticizing people, you know that right?"

Frank leaned back on his hands. "That's only a bad thing if the person is dead, doesn't love you, or is an asshole. You're none of those things. We both like Cage The Elephant, you love your brother and you tolerate his boyfriend, you're trying to be your best, and you're sitting on my car in my cardigan way too late at night." Frank watched as Gerard looked down at his lap.

"You're worth romanticizing."

_______________________________________________________________________
a/n : merry christmas & happy holidays to everyone. i love you all, and i am sorry for the super late updates on this story. i appreciate all the positive feedback from it, truly and honestly !! xx

- ash