Gerard and Feelings Don't Usually Mix

"Is there a reason why you hate Pete so much?" Mikey asked, his eyes tearing away from the TV show he'd been watching with Gerard. Gerard rolled his eyes.

"I don't want you getting hurt."

"Like you?" Mickey responded, watching Gerard roll his eyes. Gerard sighed.

"Our father being a shit show and you dating a kid who resembles a raccoon with slightly red hair are two completely different things, Mikey," Gerard explained. Mikey laughed.

"Pete could leave me, yeah, but come on, we're young and the worst he could do is cheat on me, so if I set my expectations low, I won't be disappointed."

Gerard stared at his brother for a while. "That sounds like a lovely relationship idealology."

Mikey went back to watching the TV, his Criminal Minds marathon being on, dropping the conversation and leaving Gerard to sit back on the couch. He really didn't want Mikey getting hurt by some boy who, even though young, had probably already sucked off way too many seniors. And of course that was different than his dad leaving them early on, but it didn't matter what it was, he didn't want Mikey to get hurt in any way.

"So, what's up with you and Frank?" Mikey asked, teasingly, his eyes still glued on some murder case of a lady.

"None of your business. What's up with you and Pete?"

Mikey flipped off Gerard, his eyes still on the show. Ms. Way walked past the couch, pushing her son's hand down, not like it taught him much, because he would most likely do it again. Because Ms. Way, although having been out through a lot and still a good mother, had no clue that her youngest son had full-blown make out sessions with a teenage boy who looked about six years too late for the emo trend, or that her oldest son had previously given the gross as station clerk blowjobs in exchange for drugs.

"Don't flip off your brother, Michael," Ms. Way said, walking into the kitchen. Gerard got up, following her.

"So, Mom, listen. I need you to talk to your youngest sin because he's hanging around this kid and -"

"Gerard and his new boyfriend are doing the good, the bad, and the dirty together!" Mikey yelled over Gerard. Ms. Way's eyes widened.

"Are you using protection?"

"Why aren't you more concerned about these things?" Gerard complained, watching his mother grab orange juice out of the fridge.

"Why aren't you more concerned about giving blowjobs to greasy men?"

"Who told you - "

"Someone's not subtle," Ms. Way raised her eyebrows.

- - -

"I think my mom found out about me sucking Bert's dick," Gerard said, laughing a little and taking the cigarette from Frank's hand. Frank laughed.

"Oh your first world problems."

"And she's doing nothing to stop Mikey from being with that kid, Pete, like honestly, what is that hair? What is he, in a garage band in 2005 or something? He's probably going through that emo phase that we all go through, like buddy, you're not special for listening to Nirvana or that underground metal band!"

Frank laughed. "Damn, let me get another cigarette because you just smoked away all of mine," he mused, looking at the stump in Gerard's hand. Gerard leaned back in Frank's seatbelt; his car had ended up being done for, something about the engine melting. "Someone seems tense."

"Just don't want this kid hurting Mikey."

"Why aren't you ever this concerned about hurting yourself?" Frank asked, lighting another cigarette. He probably shouldn't have asked the question, but considering he'd slept in Gerard's bed the first night he'd met him, it didn't really matter.

"Because that - that doesn't matter," now his voice was cracking, "because someone I love isn't being hurt."

"What about yourself?" Frank's lips left the cigarette.

"That's different. It's not the same, it's - "

Frank used his free hand to grab the side of Gerard's face and turned it to look directly at him. He sat there, cigarette smoke curling around himself, looking at the boy with incredibly messy black hair.

"Stop selling yourself short, okay? One day we'll drive out and can really see the stars and I'll show you how much more than this shit town there is, alright?"

Gerard didn't really know how to respond, but he didn't need to, since Frank brought his lips to Gerard's, bringing the taste of cigarette smoke and coffee and peppermint with them. And it felt so real. No huge fireworks, just the comfort of having someone care about him, even if they didn't know everything about him.

It felt nice, to say it simply.

__________________________
a/n: i wrote this all while in the car and in a hospital waiting room. and i'm happy about it. thank you all for reading this, i love you.

- ash