Frank Iero Is A Poet

"Why do you drink?" Frank whispered, laying beside Gerard under his covers. It was already midnight, but neither of the boys could go to sleep.

"It covers up the fact that my life is actual shit," Gerard responded, turning his eyes from the ceiling to Frank. Frank kept looking at the ceiling.

"Then why is your life shit?"

Gerard paused a moment. "My dad left. And my mom tries to act like it never happened. Plus I think I'm just naturally a screw up."

"I don't think you're a screw up," Frank said, this time looking over at Gerard.

"Yeah, but you barely know me."

"I've kissed you."

"Lots of people have," Gerard said.

He knew that was true, he payed for lots of his cartel physically. But Frank kissed him differently. Like Frank wasn't doing it for something in return, it was gratuitous.

"Well, I haven't. Besides, if it makes you feel better, my dad left too," Frank laughed a little at his comment, earning a smile from Gerard.

"Thanks for the encouragement," Gerard said, shifting his eyes back to the ceiling.

They laid in comfortable silence together, the ceiling fan making the only noise in the room. Gerard knew he had a problem, but was it really a problem? Impregnating a girl was a problem, coughing up blood was a problem, getting cancer was a problem. But Gerard just drank, well, and took drugs. But lots of kids did that, right? That one kid that always smoked in the janitor's closet - Gabe - drank a lot too.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" Frank snapped Gerard out of his thoughts. Frank had that stupid smile on his stupid adorable face.

"Um, um, nothing," Gerard said, looking at the shorter boy. Frank rolled his eyes.

"That's a lie."

"Do you think I'm a mess?" Gerard asked, biting the inside of his lip.

Frank thought a moment. "I think you're looking for hell in the wrong places."

"That's poetic, Frankie, really. But for real."

"No, I don't think you're a mess. But if you are, it's alright, because maybe everyone is," Frank said, his voice getting quieter. Franks hand closed around Gerard's under the covers, and then Frank fell asleep, leaving Gerard to think about Frank's unnecessarily poetic words. He kept his hand under Frank's. He'd never done this before. Sure, sometimes people let him crash at their place after hook ups, but there was no hand touching, no kisses, no words being spoken. Certainly no poetic words.

- - -

"I'm just saying that Jar Jar Binks was a mistake, that's all," Gerard said, raising his hands in his defense.

"You're awfully passionate about it, too," Mikey mumbled, stabbing his salad with his fork. Gerard looked at his younger brother from across the lunch table.

"You seem awfully passionate about Pete Wentz, so I wouldn't point fingers," Gerard said, smirking. Mikey's cheeks turned red,as he shoved salad in his mouth.

"Why're we pointing fingers?"

"Oh my gosh, Ray, must you butt into every conversation?" Gerard said as the boy with the afro sat down next to Mikey. "And who's this?"

The boy with the blonde hair looked up from his food tray. He looked the complete opposite of Gerard, with his little sweater and glasses and - was that a fedora?

"Oh! This is Patrick, we're working together on a science project," Ray hair, smiling.

"Lovely. Hey, aren't you friends with Wentz?" Gerard asked in Patrick's direction. Patrick froze a bit.

"Erm, yeah, how come?" The kids voice was deeper than Gerard had thought. He was impressed.

"Nothing. Just do you know if he's mentioned a particular Mikey Way recently or...?"

Gerard felt Mikey kick his leg from under the table.

"Uh, I think so. Something about him being a sweet little dude or what not. Why?"

Gerard shrugged. "Just curious, just curious."

- - -

"Where were you at lunch?" Gerard asked, sliding into the passenger seat of Franks car. Gerard's car was still in the repair shop (though Gerard was pretty sure the repair man had just taken parts out of it on purpose).

"What, miss me?" Frank asked smirking a bit.

"What? Me? No! Just, uh, just curious," Gerard said, looking at his shoes as Frank started the car.

"Sure. And if you must know, I was with the music teacher. He's letting me borrow a guitar from the music room for now."

Gerard looked up from his shoes. "You play?"

Frank smiled a bit, pulling out of the high school parking lot. "I dabble. Why, you got a thing for musicians?"

"I gave a drummer head once, but that's not the point. How come you're borrowing it?"

"Totally not the point, alright. And at the moment, I'm saving up for an electric, so he's letting me use his acoustic until I can buy my own, ya know?"

"He probably wants a blowjob or something."

"Jealous?" Frank stopped at a red light, looking over at the boy in the seat next to him. Gerard looked out the window to hide his blush.

"N-no! Don't be crazy. Can we go to the park?"

Frank raised his eyebrows. "The park?"

"Yeah, why not? I need to smoke anyways," Gerard shrugged as the light turned green.

"Alright, to the park we go."

______________________
a/n : shorter chapter bc the next one will be longer ((and fluffier)). i hope you're all enjoying this fic because idk how i feel about it? maybe i'm overthinking it oh well.

- ash