Child

"You ever thought about quitting smoking?" Gerard asked, sitting on top of Frank's car, watching Frank blow smoke out of his mouth beside him. Frank laughed a bit.

"Few times. Then I remember why I do it," Frank replied, putting the cigarette back to his mouth.

"And that is?" Gerard asked, bringing his own cigarette up.

"Because I can and it chills me out. Were you expecting something poetic?"

Gerard smiled, taking a drag from the cigarette and looking up. "Not really. I was gonna try and quit last year...but we see how that turned out. Mikey doesn't like the smell so," Gerard shrugged, looking back to Frank. The shorter boy smiled, bringing his cardigan around his hands, the cancer stick hanging out of his mouth.

"My uncle smokes and my aunt puts up with it so it's not like they're stopping me. I don't smoke a lot though, mainly when I need to. Or just feel like it. But a pack lasts a while for me. Holy shit - you see that dog?" Frank pointed to a person walking their dog along the park trail.

"The grey one?"

"Yeah," Frank looked at Gerard, "it's a Weimaraner. They're super friendly. Really pretty."

"Is that the only reason you wanted to park at the park? For the dogs?"

"Maybe. Nah, but dogs are the bomb."

"What about me?" Gerard teased, leaning closer to Frank. Frank blushed a bit.

"Yeah, you're pretty cool. Smoke and drink too much, though," Frank replied, lightly pushing Gerard's shoulder with his own. Gerard laughed, pulling his cigarette out of his mouth.

"Workin' on that."

Gerard laid downing the car's roof, looking up at the sky, the colors weaving in and out of one another, the sun setting on the horizon. Frank followed suit, but quietly studied Gerard's face.

"What's one thing you wish you could go back and re-do as a kid?" Frank asked, drawing Gerard's attention to his face.

"Not over-react when my dad left. I was a mess. Still am, but that's because I was a mess back then too. You?"

After a drag of the cigarette, Frank replied. "I once threw a plate at my uncle when I got mad when I was around twelve. He got over it, but it pissed him off and I just wished I hadn't have done it. I don't even remember why I was mad."

"Why do you ask that question?" Gerard asked.

"Just wondering. I feel like when we're kids, we see things in a different light. Everything is a lot easier but also harder. Kissing people seems weird and running around seems easy. I don't know," Frank blushed, laughing a bit. Gerard threw his cigarette down onto the asphalt, taking a deep breath.

"You have a point. Though kissing you doesn't seem weird to me," Gerard noted. Frank blew smoke out of his mouth, trying to restrain his blush creeping across his face.

"You're not a kid, though."

"Sometimes I feel like one. I make dumb decisions, you saw that the other night. Sometimes people make me feel like a kid, like I'm not worth it. Like I don't know anything."

Gerard was considerably closer to Frank now, and Frank had let the cigarette drop of of his hand, letting it hit the ground below. Gerard leaned in, his lips meeting Frank's, the taste of nicotine and toothpaste getting both of them. Gerard slowly placed his hand on the side of Frank's face, pulling Frank in as he kissed back. Gerard slowly pulled away, both of their lips tinged with red and their eyes wide like the moon.

"You make me feel like I know everything."

__________________________________________________________________________________
a/n : to everyone who reads this book and adds it to their reading lists, i don't think you all realize how much i love you. thank you so much for the support on this book so far. so sorry for the slow updates, but i appreciate everyone who reads this story.

- ash