Trial

At the Farm 

No one POV 

Freya was looking up at a tree and Freya said "Tell me, were the trees where you were" and Henry said "I had to stay inside a lot." 

Freya said "What about the place you lived before" and Henry said "Can I not answer that" and Freya said "You don't have to be so afraid of me. It's just a question, you don't have to tell me where your from, did you ever climb trees." 

Henry said "Wasn't allowed" and Freya said "You weren't allowed to climb trees, so have you never climbed one." 

Henry said "I climbed them, I saw it was allowed, never said I followed it" and Freya smiled and said "Your a lot different than the priest when it comes to rules. I like you a bit better." 

Henry said "It could be the fact that we're closer in age, but yes, he's surprised by me, I'm surprised by this, how, why do you continue to talk to me." 

Freya said "I have two older siblings, close in age, so I've never been alone..but I..it must be scary here to be taken from what you know, and to feel alone, and scared." 

Henry said "It wasn't the first time." 

Freya looked at him. 

Inside 

Freya was sitting next to Bjorn while they were all eating and Freya gestured over to the food and Henry smiled back. 

 Bjorn said "I want to go to Kattegat. I want to see my father return soon. " 

Freya said "He must return soon. And so will Mother" and Althestan said "I gave your father my word that I would look after you both here. " 

Bjorn said "You are not looking after us. We look after ourselves." 

Athelstan said "I cannot allow you to go on your own to Kattegat. Your father would never tolerate such a thing." 

Bjorn said "Then we should go together, the five of us." 

Athelstan said "And who will then look after the farm? For what we are about to receive, may the lord make us truly grateful. Amen." 

He puts Ale into a cup and Gyda said "Can I have some ale?" and Athelstan said "You're too young, Gyda, to drink ale. " 

Bjorn said "I want to make a sacrifice to Thor, for my father's safe return." 

Freya said "But, What will you sacrifice?" and Bjorn looked at Athelstan and Henry and said "Them" and he crashed his cup and bowl on the floor. 

Ragnar got up and walked away. 

Freya and Gyda looked at each other and Gyda said "I don't think he meant it." 

Henry said "It sounds like he did." 

Freya said "He just misses our father and our mother." 

That Night 

Henry looked over at Athelstan who was praying and Athelstan whispered "Where are you, lord? Tell me: Is it your will that I am here with these heathens? How does it serve you? I don't understand. And for the first time in my life I am angry with you. You allow my brothers to be slaughtered and sold. You allow a child  to suffer more than he already has suffered.  Is this really your will? For the first time... I feel lonely. Where are you, lord? Where are you? And why don't you answer me?". 

Henry looked up and said "They're not all so bad, some of them are kind" and Athelstan looked over at him. 

Athelstan walked in and woke Bjorn up and said "Bjorn. Bjorn, wake up."