Chapter 11

"So were you trying to get me alone or is this all a happy accident?" Elizabeth watched the inch-thick steel door open and Hobbs step through the doorway from her seat against the wall. Her wrists were still cuffed behind her back, wrists crossed and elbows bent. As big of an arsehole as he'd painted himself with his unstoppable force vs immovable object game, there had to have been a strategy behind it. "Last time it was you, me and a closet. Now this? Hard to believe I'd get lucky twice in a row."

"A happy accident." He stopped a distance from her, well beyond arm's reach. The walls were solid concrete with no windows, just one vent in the roof to pump in air and a yellowing fluorescent light so Shaw could see. Beside him, a man in grey military cams stood with an MP-7 assault rifle slung over his right shoulder and his hand on its grip. "It's your turn to cut the bullshit. Criminal or not, even you have morals."

It seemed he'd finally caught on, or so she thought. Was the truth that Hobbs had been paying attention the entire time? "You said she kidnapped a child. That's where I draw the line."

"So then why are you here still standing here? The reason can't be your brothers. You walked out on them once already."

Rude much? It was and wasn't them. Magdalene had asked her to keep her brothers alive but the fact was, Owen and Deckard could do a fine job of that themselves. Elizabeth attempted to fan herself with her shirt to no avail, sweat beading on her nose and forehead. Despite the relatively cool floor, the air was warm and humid. "You said it yourself: even I have morals. Cipher needs to be stopped before she does something really stupid."

"Like hijacking a submarine and stealing a nuclear football?"

"Jesus Christ." What kind of power trip had she been on? And who stole a nuclear football? The only reason anyone would need one of those was to launch a nuclear missile, which in itself was not something normal people did. "Bastard didn't mention that."

It appeared Shaw really had no clue about what'd been happening while she was enjoying her siestas in Cuba. Her brother had withheld information, kept her in the dark. Now - if Luke had any say in the matter - Owen's poor attempt at lying through omission would bite him in the ass.

"I'll bet he didn't mention a lot of things." Luke fetched a solid metal chair from against the right wall and turned it around, sitting on it backwards. Five minutes, he'd give himself, then he was out and going straight for the showers to cool off. Beneath his flak vest, his shirt was soaked with sweat and being in this room did him no favours. "Call it mutual interest or whatever helps you sleep better, but if those cuffs come off, you work with us till she's behind bars."

"With you, not for you."

Was she playing games with him? "That's what I said."

"Just double-checking. I have a reputation to maintain, you know."

That's what she wanted to call it? A notoriety within their family was more like it. Outside of her old job, and her relations, Shaw (like most people) bore the reputation of a nobody. Luke dangled the keys from his index finger as he sat there, watching her. If she made a move he didn't like, so much as sneezed wrong, Hobbs would leave her there to rot. Whatever Shaw thought would happen, he'd ensure it was worse.

"Well?" Elizabeth turned around and wiggled her fingers at him. The metal was starting to dig in and her arms had begun to ache from the uncomfortable position. "Oh come on, you can't be planning to actually leave me in here. This isn't even a prison, it's just a storage room."

"You catch on quick."

She glared at him over her shoulder, scowl half-hidden by the angle of her head. How many times would she have to prove it? Elizabeth was standing there, playing along with his stupid games instead of making a break for it. That alone was evidence she had no interest in walking away or being locked up. Besides, it wasn't her fault he was so disagreeable.