Chapter 24

"We're gonna need cover."

Dom's voice crackled through her earwig. "I got you, Letty."

As she moved clear of the formation, they all split, with Tej, Deckard and Hobbs taking the front to block the obvious lines of sight. Brian and Dom drove on either side of Letty, while Roman and Owen sat on her six.

Owen aligned himself directly behind the Corvette, tyres almost grazing Letty's as he hugged her. She would have only seconds to get clear once they were in position, but they'd done this maneuver so many times that Letty trusted her muscle memory wouldn't fail her now.

Now all she needed was for Cipher's welcome party to arrive.

"C'mon, you son of a bitch," Letty murmured. The dust cloud had dissipated, yet not once did that Mustang try to hide. Although its bright blue and white paint job couldn't have concealed it out here where everything was a shade of brown. "It's time to play."

"You sure about that, Letty?"

The sudden response sent a chill down her spine. So they were listening in. She'd figured as much. It was a smart move when Letty thought about it. That was how they'd always evaded the cops, after all.

"Who are you?"

"What, you don't recognise me, Dom? C'mon. I thought we were brothers."

"I don't have a brother," Dom said, with all the patience of an angry man.

Letty reached down and switched her transmitter off before she could be tempted to talk. There was something about the voice that sounded vaguely familiar, but she couldn't quite place it. It was like a distant memory; an old book too faded and tattered to read.

"Is that what you tell yourself? Mom would be so disappointed. That's not how she raised you."

"Half a klick and closing," Deckard interrupted. It was less for his benefit than Owen's. He wasn't stupid - he'd seen them talking, seen his brother slip into formation behind Letty. Those two were working together like it was the old days again. And as much as he might disdain it, it was good to see Owen still understood the meaning of cooperation. "Remember, we—"

Deckard trailed off into silence at the realisation they were a man down. Neither Hattie or Elizabeth were here. There was, in fact, no one to remind. No need to explicitly mention that one or both of his sisters were not, under any circumstances, to blow up the truck and everything inside it.

"Fifty metres and closing," said Deckard. "Sitting at one o'clock."

Letty inched across the lane, with Owen matching her movements, and watched as Deckard broke rank. The view in front of her opened up when he peeled off, revealing the convoy just twenty feet ahead, and the blue Mustang speeding towards her.

"It's a game of chicken, is it? Alright, I'll play."

There was nothing like the feeling of being in a car going over 100mph. The exhilaration, the adrenaline rush. Being moments from danger while still remaining in complete control. Then, when that moment arrived, Letty jerked her steering wheel to the right, sending herself off-road and skidding across the desert.

But as she looked back over her shoulder, she saw it all. The asshole in the Mustang had no idea Owen was behind her. Both his left tyres were lifted off the ground as the ramp caught them, and the speed at which the pair collided vaulted the Ford into the air.

For several seconds, it remained airborne. Then like a two ton metal ball, the Mustang fell. It hit the road with a loud crash and rolled, paint and exterior panels scraping against the asphalt. Side over side, it tumbled off the highway and over the desert plain, carried by its momentum, until the car finally came to rest on its side.