Chapter 23

"Man, I can't," Letty groaned, resting her head against the cubicle's side wall. She bounced her foot repeatedly and tapped her leg with the cardboard box. Anything to keep her mind off what was inside said box. "How about you pee on it for me, Ramsey?"

"I would if I could." The addendum of 'but I'm not the one who's possibly pregnant' went unspoken. "They still won't patch me through, although getting an answer out of Hobbs is like..."

"Getting Roman to shut up?"

Ramsey chuckled and nodded. Arms braced on the metal sink behind her, she sighed and looked up from the floor. "This is not how I imagined things would happen, you know."

Tell me about it, Letty thought. She'd hoped to be home already. Laughing and chasing Marcus around. Eating waffles and sitting back as Elena made coffee. Swapping stories with Mia. Instead, their family had been forced apart.

Wearily, she stood up off the toilet, unlocked the door and shoved the test in her pocket. Delaying it until later wouldn't harm anyone, but neither would the sinking feeling in Letty's stomach go away just because she had an answer.

"Alright," said Letty. "Let's do this thing. You ready, Ramsey?"

"No."

If there was one thing about Ramsey that Letty liked more than anything else, it was her honesty. Ramsey called it how she saw it and didn't pull a single punch. Right now, that knowledge was the only thing keeping her going. And the feeling of there being someone she could talk to about the shit Letty normally only broached with Mia and Elena.

"Letty, I don't mean to rush you," Hobbs shouted, "but we need to go. They're at the forty mile marker."

They'd left their cars parked onboard the plane for this exact reason. Why unload them when a moment's notice was all they had? Luke adjusted the straps of his flak vest, checked his revolver was loaded once again, and walked towards the open hangar doors.

"Nervous?" Deckard asked, falling into line with Luke. Walking parallel to the Fed, he adjusted the collar of his kevlar jacket. Strapped to his right thigh was the pistol he'd brought; to his left, a combat knife. "Or are you worried someone's going to get hurt?"

"Someone already has been."

"Who?"

Luke glanced over his shoulder. No sign of Owen, Letty or Dom. Good. The last thing he needed was one of them learning that something was going on. "Your sister went rogue," he said. "Killed two people last night. Put three more in the ICU."

"Hattie?" If she'd killed someone, then there was a pretty good reason for it.

"The other one."

Deckard paused mid-step, pivoting on his feet to look directly at Hobbs. "Elle doesn't kill people."

"Her criminal record says otherwise."

"If you're done gossiping," Owen said as he passed the pair, "we've got a terrorist to catch."

"He's right." Letty couldn't believe the words that were coming out of her mouth, but Owen spoke the truth. Carrying Ramsey's laptop, she rushed towards the transport plane that awaited them. "You coming or what?"

The team loaded themselves and their gear inside of ten minutes. As the pilots ran through the checklist, Deckard found himself standing at the base of the ramp, staring into space. Hands tucked into his pockets, he listened to the plane's engines hum, and a set of footsteps thudding behind him.

"Hobbs says the truck's empty."

"You really believe that?" Deckard said. He glanced over his shoulder, meeting Dom's gaze for a moment before returning his attention to the afternoon sky. "Yeah, me neither."