Chapter 30

Five minutes.

That was how long it took for the walls to come crashing down. For the meddling deity to send in the flood and wash them all away, purging her plane of their sins.

Roberts had walked in after Hobbs' second drink, taken one look at the three of them, and ordered his fellow lackeys to get their arses to the other end of the plane.

Several hours later, not one of them had made a reappearance. There wasn't so much as a sign of Hobbs, let alone that lying bastard.

But Cipher? That awful haircut and her sharp jaw haunted Elizabeth's line of sight. Back and forth she walked between her office and whatever lay upstairs, returning with what looked like a weapons cache, or a tightly rolled up sheet of paper that could only be a detailed schematic.

Eventually, she stopped paying any mind to her surroundings altogether, until...

"Shaw."

Elizabeth opened her eyes, staring up at the pale figure that loomed over her. Dressed in that black kevlar suit of his like some wannabe grim reaper, Jakob clutched a holster in his left hand. A noticeably not empty holster.

Fuck.

"Put that gun to my head again," she said, "and you won't like what happens next."

"It's a Glock 19."

"Don't."

"Fifteen bullets in the mag. One in the chamber. There's no safety switch so keep your finger off the trigger." He set it down on her lap—all twenty-nine ounces of it—and left it there. "Get used to wearing it."

"Jakob."

"We'll be back before dawn."

Dawn? What the hell was he talking about? Elizabeth stood, only to fall straight back down onto the lounge as her legs gave out. The pistol hit the floor and laid there, ignored, as she forced herself to breathe. "She's making a move?"

"Go have a shower. Get something to eat and go back to sleep. You look like hell."

"Where's Hobbs?"

"He's in the cargo hold."

"And his daughter?"

Jakob sighed. "She's fine."

"What time is it?" Elizabeth pushed herself to her feet again, taking a single unsteady step forward, then another, until she was close enough to grasp one of his shoulder straps. "It was still light when I..."

"Elle."

"Told you—" God, what did it matter what he called her anyway? It was only a damn name. One she didn't even like, if she was being honest with herself. "Are you drunk?"

"No." Jakob's gaze softened and his eyes wrinkled at the corners. A hint of a smirk tugged at his lips. "Why? Are you worried about me?"

"Don't flatter yourself."

"Elizabeth."

"How long were you going to keep up the charade? Until Cipher told you to drop it?"

His smirk turned into a frown. Jakob stepped forward, his hand coming to rest on the small of her back, and pulled her closer. "Stop pushing your luck."

"God, those apron strings must chafe."

"It's a job. She pays me to do what I'm told." Elizabeth could try to provoke a reaction all she wanted, but she wouldn't get anywhere. Not when Jakob was thirty minutes from sending a very clear, very obvious message to Dom. His mind was clear, and above all else, focused. "Now do what you're told and pick up that holster."