Chapter 14

"It's too risky."

"Everything is a risk, Hobbs. Doesn't change the fact they're right about this." Letty stood in the doorway, looking at him as if he were no more than some local cop in her way. After leaving the Shaws in her proverbial rear view, she'd followed Tej and the others upstairs. Like Letty had told herself at the house, she was the one who'd be taking charge of the mission. "We need access to that plane."

"Unfortunately it's still on the other side of the country."

"You left it in New York?" Deckard looked at Hobbs as if he'd just said they'd handed the plane back to Cipher. What good was it sitting there when the team were here? "Tell me they at least kept the cargo bay doors open."

"I don't know, Deckard. I'm not the one running the goddamn show." They all seemed to defer to him, rely on him, yet none of them noticed he wasn't the top of the food chain anymore. This was Mr. Nobody's building, not his, and he certainly wasn't about to risk his career by stepping on any toes. The hierarchy never liked it when people with field experience embraced the fact they knew more than the assholes at the top of the ladder.

"Then point me in the direction of who is," Letty interrupted. "Getting on that plane is the only thing that gets us close to Cipher. Your truck could be anywhere, in any country. Without a license plate, it's a needle in a haystack."

"Splitting the team up this early is a bad idea." Brian leaned towards Dom. "We need to start working on those cars. It's gonna take all hands on deck to get it done."

"Reisner, make the call," Luke relented. He might not be in charge but the kid was still susceptible to a fist up his ass. "Get them access to that plane."

"I—" Little Nobody swallowed and looked away, avoiding catching anyone's eye. How was he meant to tell them it'd been under their noses the entire time? "They were in the process of dismantling it when—"

Jesus Christ. It had exploded, Deckard thought, hadn't it? They couldn't get onboard the plane because there was nothing left of it but shrapnel. "Spit it out."

"They transported it here two weeks ago but someone triggered the security system. We can't get back inside."

"What about your handprint, Toretto? Can it open any doors?"

"No."

"Owen?"

"No." For once, it wasn't a lie. It sounded like Cipher had kept that plane locked up tighter than Fort Knox if they were talking biometrics. Not to mention he'd been onboard a grand total of zero times prior to their rescue of Baby Toretto. There was a reason Owen had said he'd enjoy having it. "I didn't know she had a plane."

Guess it's time to blow something up. Letty caught Ramsey's eye and gestured towards the door. If the plane really was here, they only had to find it and crack it open like a sardine can. Shaw could rig up a charge or two, or cut through the fuselage. If not, Ramsey had her laptop. With any luck, her hacking skills would do them some good.

Letty exited the room without another word, Ramsey on her tail, and rushed downstairs. "Shaw, grab whatever you need to blow or cut a hole in a plane."

"What?" A plane? What the hell was Letty talking about? Unless Ortiz planned on trashing the plane that was due to arrive by tonight with the rest of their cars, there was nothing to blow up. Elizabeth glanced up warily from a small circuit board and watched Letty start up the Corvette.

"Davai!" Let's go!

"I'm busy." With all signals jammed, there was no way to connect to an external network, sans a workaround of course. The board on her desk was it. If she could cobble together a transmitter, get that Pi, a touchscreen GPS to serve as a display, and subsequently find a satellite dish on a roof somewhere, Elizabeth would have all she needed to piggyback their network. Assuming this makeshift monstrosity worked. "Ask someone else."