Chapter 28

"Dom?" The cargo plane rattled around them as Letty rolled over, grasping his shoulder and shaking him gently. "You awake?"

He groaned, eyes slowly fluttering open. Dom squinted up at her before recognition kicked in and the lost look on his face turned to familiarity. "Hey. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Well, that depended on who you asked. Truthfully she was shitting her pants right now, but in a few months, that all might change. "I wanted to talk. In private."

"Sure. Just give me a minute."

Dom looked at her as if confused about the why, nevermind the what. Still, Letty quietly climbed out of bed, easing her way past the cots that'd been set up for the team, minus one.

Hobbs.

It was strange not having him there. The first few hours had left her head spinning as she wondered exactly what Cipher and Jakob would do to him. Whether he'd even be alive by the end. Letty had found herself praying earlier, for the first time in weeks, asking for Hobbs to come back alive.

Not just because he was one of them, but for his kid's sake. They'd met on that rooftop in New York and the connection was instant. Sam was a good kid, she thought, who didn't deserve to have her dad ripped out of her life.

"Letty," Dom said when they were finally alone, crammed inside a small storage room. "Talk to me. What is it?"

She looked away, swallowing the lump in her throat, then pulled the box from her pocket. It seemed gross to outright hand Dom something she'd peed on, so Letty opted for the next best thing.

"It was positive."

"You..."

His eyes widened. He took a step forward, coming to grasp her shoulders, looking at her like he was asking if she was serious.

Letty nodded. Every part of her wanted to vomit, yet something resembling maternal instinct screamed to find some isolated corner of the planet and hide until this thing—their child—was out of her body. Safe in her arms. "I'm pregnant."

"I don't know what to..." He wiped his hand over his face and took a breath, then Dom reached down and lifted her up, kissing her gently. "I'm gonna be a father."

"Yeah, you are, Papi," Letty said.

The smile she wore hid everything—the fear and anxiety building up inside her, the way her stomach roiled. Every worry and concern Letty had carried around since she was nineteen and they'd started taking things a little more seriously.

"Do you want to tell the others?" he asked.

"Not yet."

Would it even survive to full term? How was she even meant to do this without her mom around, or her grandmother? She didn't have a damn clue what she was meant to do, and the God's honest truth was, she was fucking terrified because of that.

It was why she'd procrastinated taking the test in the first place.

Sure, her team was here, but her family? Mia? Elena? The women she'd leaned on in the past and present? They weren't here, now, when she needed them the most.

Having Ramsey around was great, Letty thought, but she couldn't fill the hole left by Mia's absence.

Or Shaw's...

As much as Letty wanted to board Cipher's plane, find the traitorous bitch and drag her off by the hair, Elizabeth had told her to turn around. Leave. Do what she said and Letty might get an answer or two.

Too bad any kind of answer was now long since gone.

"Maybe in a day or two," Letty said. "I haven't quite…It still feels surreal, you know? But I need to call Mia first, and Elena."