Chapter 34

"Goddamn it, someone answer me!" Letty coughed hard into her shirt, now wrapped around her face. "We need help!"

The smoke had only grown thicker in the time that'd passed since they heard of the Shaws being shot. How long it'd been, she couldn't say. All Letty knew for sure was the air was a hell of a lot more contaminated than earlier, and the smell of leaking gasoline much more pronounced.

"Save your breath," Eric said, lowering himself to what was now the floor of the SUV. "We don't know how much longer we'll be in here."

Or if they had enough oxygen left to still be conscious when they were hopefully rescued. He'd kicked the door, pushed as hard as he could with Letty and Ramsey in an attempt to shift whatever rubble was trapping them. Yet it didn't matter. The door was jammed shut and there was probably half a wall's worth of bricks above their heads right now.

Eric groaned into his hands, cursing himself for thinking taking shelter behind a building was a good idea. In retrospect, it had been, but that small fact didn't stop him from beating himself up given their current situation.

"...Let...?' The radio crackled weakly. Static hummed on every channel that still worked, but occasionally they made out voices and fragments of conversations. "Wh...kay?"

"Dom?' Shit, she would've been happy to hear Rico and Santos arguing like an old married couple right now if it meant they were safe. "We're west of the warehouse. Fourth street along, maybe the fifth." Fuck, why hadn't one of them thought to count as they were driving? "We're trapped in Hobbs' SUV. We can't get out! There's rubble piled up on the car."

Was anything she was saying even getting through? For all they knew, the interference was bad for everyone, but Letty couldn't think about that right now. She had to focus on staying conscious, keeping them all alive. Hobbs had saved their lives by hitting the alarm, after all. She wasn't going to roll over and die now just because of some bricks and mortar.

Gisele and Han wouldn't let her live it down the day they finally saw each other again if she did. God willing, that day would be sixty years from now when she was old, grey, and finally ready to meet her maker.

"Can you..." The signal seemed to clear up a little, like whoever it was had moved closer, allowing for less interference. "...lights?'

Letty moved sideways, reaching for the wheel. The engine had gone quiet when the warehouse exploded and the shockwave struck, but she didn't know the extent of the damage given the Gurkha's armor. Who knew, maybe they'd get lucky. Glancing up, Letty murmured a prayer and pushed the headlight stalk forward. Dust and ash had long since formed a thick layer on the windows, stopping her from learning if the bulbs were still intact, yet it didn't prevent the radio from working.

"Letty!"

Brian.

She sank back against the passenger seat in relief, closing her eyes as the sound of car engines came within earshot. They were muffled but audible. Oh, thank God. She wouldn't have to explain to Gisele just how she'd gotten herself killed after Gisele went to the trouble of saving Letty's ass in Mexico.

"Dom, we've got her! She's-"

"Letty!"

Dom. Never again would she complain about his occasional snoring at night, or the way he stubbornly refused to put his keys anywhere other than his pocket. How the fuck was she supposed to borrow his car in an emergency if she had to chase him down and search two goddamn houses because he wouldn't use the hook on the refrigerator?