Chapter 33

Did she have a death wish? It was an earnest question. One that'd been kicking around Jakob's head for a while. She kept pushing every boundary she could, if not walking right over them, and now here she was again at the edge of fucking around and finding out.

"Here's how this is going to go, Princess," Jakob said, grasping her bicep before she could slip away, "so listen up. Hobbs is going to walk out of this room and go back to minding his own business while you and I get reacquainted."

"Excuse me?"

Elizabeth glanced at Luke. "You're excused."

"Oh, no. I don't care what bullshit you two have going on, I'm not walking out and pretending like whatever he's got planned doesn't involve turning you into a punching bag."

She scoffed, turning to face Hobbs. "If you think he," Elizabeth cocked her head toward Jakob, "would do that, you don't know him at all. And if you think I'd ever let anyone do that to me then you don't know me either. Get out, Fed."

"Elizabeth."

"This isn't an argument you can win." Her eyes narrowed, lips pursed together. Jakob released his grasp on her arm, allowing her to step out of the way. "I killed the last man who laid a hand on me, and no one's tried since."

Makarov? The fleeting thought passed through Jakob's head as he moved into the armory, undoing the straps on his vest.

"Woman, you don't know him from Adam anymore than I do."

"Maybe not, but I can spot a piece of shit at a hundred yards. He isn't one."

"And I am?"

"I didn't say that."

Hobbs frowned, like he couldn't figure out how this had turned into a them versus him situation in five seconds flat. Jakob sure could, though. Luke had all but laid his hands on her, cracking two ribs in the process. Right now, the Fed had Elizabeth's sympathy. However, a woman like her could only extend it for so long.

"Don't make me play the daughter card," Jakob said, tugging the knife free from his vest. He tossed both into a plastic tub under the bench and set to work on his belt and attached holstered sidearm. "We all know how trigger happy you are when it comes to Sam."

"Say that again."

The atmosphere shifted in an instant. Jakob turned around, facing them, all too aware that there was now a clear and present threat in the armory. That Hobbs was two seconds shy of ripping his spine from his body if Jakob crossed the line.

Because there it was-the Fed's dark side. The part of him Cipher would use like a goddamn trigger. She'd aim him in Mr. Nobody's direction, whisper 'bang' and the bullet would fire itself. No need to try and turn a vengeful man when you had the necessary leverage.

"H."

For a second, it seemed as if Elizabeth had just tasered Luke with a single breath. His spine went ramrod straight, head turning on a swivel to face her. She shook her head slowly, saying nothing else as he stared at her. The mix of pain and anger in Hobbs' eyes was all too apparent, yet the weakness...that was something new.

One syllable, one letter of the alphabet, and Elizabeth had him in the palm of her fucking hand.

Interesting.

"I'm not stitching you up if this goes south."

"Your concern's noted."

"Jesus," Luke said, wiping his hand down his face. "Whatever happens is on you."