Chapter 25

"Shaw, where are you? Owen?"

Roman rolled his eyes as he drove. Whatever was going on between those two, he knew better than to get involved. Letty was Dom's wife, not his, and certainly not Shaw's.

"I'm a little busy right now." Oh, there he was. "Decks, think you can—"

Suddenly the two ATVs driving on either side of Roman broke off and moved away. That was weird. Why would they give him space? Even the Mustang behind him had eased up. It didn't make any damn sense. Unless...

"Shit!"

Roman pressed his right foot to the floor as all hell broke loose. Two loud, terrifying peals of thunder echoed through the sky, followed by the deep sound of something heavy rushing towards him.

Then as the Lamborghini pushed forward, something struck the rear bumper, shattering it with enough force to shake and lift the entire front half of his car. A moment later, that something struck the road.

Cracks spread through the asphalt, radiating outwards from a hole almost three feet deep. The impact kicked up a thick black cloud of dust and sent pieces of asphalt hurtling every which way, scratching up his paint job and bouncing off the panels.

"Roman?! Answer me!"

He turned to look over his shoulder at the road and blinked. Brian's voice went ignored for the few seconds it took Pearce's brain to catch up with him.

"I'm. I'm here," Roman stammered. "What the hell just happened?"

"You need a diaper there, man?" asked Tej. "Baby wipes? How badly did you shit yourself?"

"Tej."

"Uh-huh?"

"Shut up."

"How about air fresheners?" Tej laughed. He was still teasing, but the concern in Parker's voice didn't go unnoticed. "So you good?"

"Yeah," said Roman. "Like I said, what the hell was that?"

The first sign that something had gone wrong was the truck's left side lifting as Owen slid out from beneath it. He moved clear of the tyres seconds before they slammed back down onto the road.

"We're going to lose this thing if someone doesn't get in there," grumbled Deckard. He looked over his shoulder, checking his brother was now clear, and sighed. The ramp was gone. The car's usefulness outlived. "Owen, it's time to ditch."

"No need. The engine's functioning."

"That wasn't a suggestion." Owen needed to be behind the wheel of his SUV so Deckard could get control of the truck. "Just do as you're told, yeah?"

Owen was a little too old for him to be pulling that line, but sometimes it needed saying. Although they weren't eighteen and ten anymore, Deckard was still the proverbial head of their family. The responsible head, at that.

"The truck's done." Even Owen could see that. Its rear tyres were beginning to slide across the road. The refrigerated compartment sat at an angle. Sooner or later, the whole thing would come crashing down on their heads. "We need to focus on staying alive."

If his brother hadn't noticed, they were still surrounded. Toretto and the others remained somewhere at the rear of the convoy, and Letty? Who knew where she was. In other words, help wouldn't be coming. Everyone was busy covering their own arses.

"Shaw." Hobbs' voice pulled Owen out of his thoughts. "I need an intercept! ATV about to cross your path. Tall white guy in kevlar."

"You want him dead or alive?" asked Deckard.