Capitŭlum Septendĕcim

My lungs were filled with the fresh air of midnight. I looked up and the moon was there shining beautifully up in the starry night sky. Everything was so peaceful and quiet, perfect to ease an overthinking mind.

The sound of footsteps coming approaching quickly suddenly interrupted the peacefulness and made me feel unease. I tried to spot who was the person coming at that speed and what was their reason but it was too dark. As the sound got closer and closer I managed to see a little boy, who seemed to have 6 or 7 years, running desperately towards me.

What was doing such a small child at this hour alone in the woods?

The kid jumped to my legs and hugged them tightly. "Please help me." He said pleading. His eyes started to fill with tears.

"What's wrong? Are you lost?" I asked him as I caressed his blond hair trying to calm him down.

"Please help me. He's coming for me." He was agitated and kept looking back with fear in his eyes.

"Hey, calm down. What's your name?"

"Uriclef."

"Who's coming for you, Uriclef?"

"If I say his name I'll invoke him."

Footsteps could be heard from the distance. It was dark but you could felt something or someone was coming, and was hiding in the shadows.

I took the boy's hand and started running looking for a place to hide. We found a shallow tree and I told him to go inside. I sat down facing him so if whoever was chasing him found us, he would have to go over me first to get to him.

"Don't worry. You're safe now." I smiled at him. "We're safe."

The little boy looked at me and smirked, slowly shaking his head. He tightened his grip in my wrist turning red the skin beneath it.

"Uriclef, what are you- You're hurting me." I said, trying to cut loose of his grip.

The boy started laughing with a deep evil voice. Suddenly his bright blue eyes turned black and his skin got paler. "This is not even close to what I'll do to you."

He opened his mouth and a pitched squeal came out of it and then a huge black mass hovered over me.

I woke up abruptly. I was having troubles breathing and my heart was agitated. I closed my eyes and began to inhale and exhale. It was just a nightmare.

Suddenly the room atmosphere changed drastically. I opened my eyes and for a few seconds my heart stopped beating.

"Boo." Zayn whispered a few inches away from my face.

I screamed and got out of my bed, trying to get as far as possible from him. He remained standing motionless with his black eyes locked on me. The dark haired demon cocked his head and smiled maliciously at me.

"Wanna play a game, babe?" He asked, slowing walking towards me. I was petrified. I couldn't move or make a sound. "Ok, I'll take that as a yes."

"The game is 'Kagome, Kagome'." He said nonchalant. "It's a Japanese children's game where one player is chosen as the oni, a.k.a. demon, and sits blindfolded or with their eyes covered. The other children join hands and walk in circles around the oni while chanting the song for the game. When the song stops, the oni tries to name the person standing directly behind them."

Zayn knelt in front of me, scanning my horrified face with his black lifeless eyes. "Close your eyes." He demanded. "You'll be the oni."

"No." I stammered. "G-Get out."

"CLOSE YOUR EYES!" A guttural voice came out from his mouth, which made me startled. I quickly did as he told me and closed my eyes. I was shivering. He was going to kill me. "Good girl." He whispered, brushing his lips against my cheek.

I need to think of something. I need to get out of here.

"Kagome, Kagome. When, oh when will it come out? In the night of dawn, the crane and turtle slipped." He sang the lugubrious melody until suddenly a deathly silence filled the room.

I opened my eyes and quickly looked around and didn't see him anywhere. Maybe Zayn had just come here to scare me and he had left. I stood up and ran to the door. I grabbed the door handle and goosebumps were all over my skin and a cold shiver ran down my spine.

"Who is behind you now?" I heard his voice whispering in my ear.

My head went back and I let out a cry of pain; Zayn had me by the hair and threw me to the ground.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked me smirking. "We haven't finished playing." The model looking demon hovered over me and then placed both hands on either side of my head and leaned in close.

"Yes we have." I kicked him where it hurts and pushed him away from me. I quickly tried to get up and ran outside.

I couldn't see where I was going because it was too dark, the only thing I knew was that I needed to find someone before Zayn got to me again.

"Kagome, Kagome. When, oh when will it come out? In the night of dawn, the crane and turtle slipped." The sound of kids slowly singing was surrounding me. It was like I was right in the middle and they were singing and dancing around in a circle. "Who is behind you now? Who is behind you now?"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Cam's cabin was nearer than Rue's but would he be able to do something to help me in this situation? Without thinking it twice I turned left towards Rue's place. She was the only one who could help me.

"The oni is coming for you. Lurking in the dark, closer than it looks. Poor poor girl, there's nothing left to play. One, two, it opens its eyes. Three, four, you hear its roar. Five, six, the oni is on the loose and it's coming for you."

I covered my ears in an attempt to silence their horrifying voices but it was useless. I still could hear the song in my head louder and louder.

I ran faster when I managed to see Rue's cabin. I climbed the stairs as fast as I could and desperately knocked on the door. "RUE! RUE! PLEASE OPEN UP!" I cried.

The hairs on my neck stood on end and a shiver ran down my spine. "Who's behind you now?" I heard Zayn whispering in my ear.

Suddenly the door was opened and Rue pulled me inside. I fell to the ground breathless and just heard the sound of the door slamming.

"He was behind me. He was behind me." I kept saying. "He was going to kill me. He was coming for me."

"Raiza, calm down. You're safe now." Rue hugged me. I didn't have to tell her who I meant by 'he' because she already knew. "It's ok, it's ok."

"What happened?" Matt asked worried. "Are you ok, Raiza?"

"He was going to kill me." I said without altered. "There were kids singing and-"

"Raiza, it's ok." Rue reassured me. I looked at her in some kind of trance. I knew she had said something to me but I didn't understand what.

"Sometimes the wind can play tricks on us. Don't worry, I got scared the first time I stayed here as well." Matt gave me a smile in an attempt to make me feel better.

I had a lost look in my eyes and I could feel myself losing fading. Their voices became distorted and I was losing focus. My best friend pulled the hair off my face and gave me pats in my face trying to make me react. "Rai, do you feel-"

Everything went to black.