Chapter 6: Pressure

Masato Tanaka stood in front of the mirror, anxiety pulsing through his veins. The cold sweat on his brow glistened under the sterile fluorescent lighting as he struggled to straighten his tie. He glanced at the file he clutched tightly in his hand – Nori's vitals. Despite the weight of the situation, Masato couldn't help but smirk as he thought of how much more successful he had been with the Mach armor than any of his predecessors.

"Remember," he muttered to himself, "they need me more than I need them."

With a deep breath, he stepped onto the elevator and ascended to face the board. As the doors opened, revealing the stern faces of the members, Masato felt a knot tighten in his stomach. He cleared his throat and took his place before them, the air thick with tension.

"Mr. Tanaka," began one of the board members, a woman with a hawk-like gaze, "you claim that Nori Aoki was stable during the incident at Osaka pier, yet our reports indicate otherwise. How do you explain the mass casualties?"

Masato swallowed hard but maintained his composure. "I admit, Nori was... volatile," he conceded, "but I have data here showing that the suit wasn't killing him like it did the others before."

He held up the file, opening it to reveal graphs and charts, each meticulously displaying the evidence supporting his claim. The board members leaned in, their eyes scanning the information intently.

"Furthermore," Masato continued, "it's become clear to me that only someone with immense willpower can properly operate a Mach without succumbing to its deadly side effects. I already have another candidate in mind who I believe is better suited for this task."

The hawk-eyed woman narrowed her eyes, unimpressed. "This had better work, Mr. Tanaka; otherwise, consider yourself dismissed. We can't afford any more mistakes."

"Believe me," Masato retorted, a hint of defiance in his voice, "you'll need my expertise to locate the rogue Mach that's not under our control."

"Rest assured, Mr. Tanaka," another board member chimed in, "we are already searching for it."

"Very well," Masato replied tersely before taking his leave.

As soon as he was out of earshot, his calm demeanor crumbled. He felt the walls closing in around him, and his breaths became shallow and panicked. The thought of losing his position gnawed at him, but the fire of determination burned brightly within. He would not give up; he had come too far to fail now.

-----

Underneath a heavy gray sky, Hiro walked the bustling streets of Osaka, his eyes scanning every face in the crowd for any sign of Yutaka. The weight of unanswered questions regarding the Mach and his dead parents pressed down on him like an invisible burden.

As the day wore on, Hiro's hope began to wane with each passing hour. He wandered into a narrow alleyway, where a ragged tent caught his eye. A flicker of possibility ignited within him; could Yutaka be inside?

Hiro cautiously approached the tent, but as he pulled back the tattered fabric, an angry homeless man lunged at him, snarling and cursing. Hiro stumbled backward, adrenaline surging through him as he sprinted farther down the alley.

"Get away from him!" came a sudden shout. To Hiro's relief, it was Yutaka who appeared, his eyes blazing with intensity. He threatened the irate man, his voice cold and unyielding. "Leave now, or I'll kill you."

The homeless man hesitated, then slunk away, muttering under his breath. Yutaka turned to Hiro, his expression softening. "Breathe, Hiro," he urged gently. "You're safe now."

"Yutaka... I need to talk to you," Hiro gasped, still recovering from the ordeal. Yutaka nodded and led Hiro through the maze-like streets to a small, quiet cafe tucked away from the chaos outside.