Chapter 13: Faulter

Nori's eyes were glued to the news broadcast, his intense gaze reflecting off the screen as he absorbed every detail. "Breaking News: Second Robot Attack in South Africa" blared from the television in bold letters.

"A pink robot attacked a school earlier today," the newscaster reported, her voice trembling slightly with emotion. "Thankfully, a second teal one swooped in and saved the day. The two robots are now engaged in a fierce battle in the airspace above the school while police and emergency services work diligently to evacuate the area."

Nori's jaw clenched as he downed the last swig of his lukewarm melon soda. He needed to see this for himself. With a swift movement, he activated his Mach suit and took flight, heading towards the conflict. He decided to keep his distance, not wanting to interfere just yet. "If I spot an opening," he muttered to himself, "I'll take it."

As he arrived on scene, the battle between Mach One and Mach Nine raged on. Nori observed from a safe distance, his piercing eyes following their every move. Something wasn't right; Mach One was holding back, not fighting with his usual skill. What could be causing him to waver?

"Is he... scared?" Nori pondered, his anger bubbling up as he considered the possibility that his rival might not be as strong as he once thought. "Pathetic" he spat, disappointment tinging his words.

Nori made a decision. If Mach One was so weak, he would let Mach Nine finish him off. Then, when the timing was right, he'd take out Mach Nine too. His fists clenched in frustration, he turned away from the scene, flying off into the distance.

Nori had always struggled with controlling his rage, but he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that there was more to Mach One's sudden change than met the eye. Did he miss something crucial? Was there a hidden strategy at play?

"Doesn't matter," he growled to himself. "I'll take them both down, one way or another."

As the battle below continued, Nori retreated into the distance, his thoughts consumed with anger and disappointment.

-----

As Hiro and Kimiko's Mach suits clashed in midair, sparks flying with each strike, the sky around them seemed to vibrate with their raw energy. Hiro gritted his teeth within the confines of his suit, his heart pounding as he struggled to keep up with Kimiko's relentless assault. He had never intended for it to come to this, but with her fierce determination, there was no other option but to fight.

"Kimiko, listen to me!" Hiro shouted, trying to reason with her while simultaneously attempting to block her next attack. "We're supposed to be on the same side!"

"Then why are you standing in my way?!" she shot back, her voice strained with exertion.

Before either of them could react, a sonic boom shook the air around them, causing both pilots to momentarily lose focus. A third Mach appeared between them like a bolt from the blue, its streamlined form gleaming in the sunlight. It raised its hands, gesturing for them to stop.

"Stand down! I am Osamu Kimura, under commands from the Canadian government. You are hereby ordered to surrender your Machs immediately!" the new arrival commanded, his voice firm and authoritative.

Hiro's eyes widened in shock at the revelation, his mind racing with questions. Canada had access to Mach technology too? How many countries had managed to get their hands on this power, and what were the implications?

"Canada?" Kimiko sputtered, equally surprised. "But—"

"Enough!" Osamu interjected sharply, cutting her off. "You have entered our airspace illegally and engaged in unauthorized combat. Surrender now, or I will be forced to take you both down."