Chapter 10: Change

The wind ripped over Hiro's armor as he soared above the city, his heart pounding with adrenaline. He knew he had to act fast; Kimiko needed him. The warehouse roof loomed below, and he caught sight of her fragile form tied to a metal railing. Her eyes were wide with fear, but something in them told him she hadn't given up hope.

As Hiro swooped down, he reached out, grabbing her with one arm while slicing through the ropes with his free hand. For a split second, they hung suspended in mid-air before Hiro's Mach armor surged upwards, propelling them away from the warehouse and possible military strike. The whir of government drones filled the air, their flashing lights chasing after them like swarming insects.

"Initiate stealth system," Hiro commanded, his voice barely audible over the roar of the wind. His AI responded immediately, cloaking them in an electromagnetic shield that rendered them invisible to the government's scanners. Hiro's breathing steadied as the AI guided him effortlessly through Osaka, avoiding roadblocks and search drones with ease.

Finally, they reached a secluded alleyway where Hiro could power down without being seen. As the Mach armor retracted into its cellphone form, Hiro gently set Kimiko on the ground, his limbs trembling from the weight of what they'd just been through.

"Wha- You're... you're the robot guy?" Kimiko stammered, trying to maintain her composure. "I knew something was up with you."

"Really?" Hiro raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his exhausted eyes. "It's called a Mach. My parents left it for me to stop the others like that guy who kidnapped you, and end the program forever."

Kimiko hesitated for only a moment before insisting, "I want to help."

"Kimiko, these Machs are dangerous," Hiro replied, the image of Noboru's final moments before exploding still fresh in his mind. "And there's only one."

"Then we'll find the others," she declared, her determination unwavering. "I know it won't be easy, but we can do it together."

"I don't think that is a good idea, I couldn't fight if I knew there was a chance you would get hurt," Hiro explained, a smile touching his tired face. "But you can help keep this a secret."

"Deal."

"Let's get you home." As they walked through the darkened streets of Osaka, Kimiko's hand found its way into his, and Hiro couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, they stood a chance.

When they arrived at Kimiko's house, her parents were waiting anxiously outside, flanked by a police officer and several secret service members. The moment they saw their daughter, they rushed forward, enveloping her in a desperate embrace. Questions about her abduction and rescue began to flood in, but Kimiko remained steadfast in her loyalty to Hiro.

"The robot dropped me off in a parking lot," she said, her voice steady. "I walked home and found Hiro from there."

As the relieved family turned to go inside, Hiro caught Kimiko's eye, and she gave him a small, knowing smile. They had a long road ahead of them, but for now, she was safe, and that was enough.

-----

Masato's finger hovered over the touch screen of his phone, the voice on the other end delivering the news he had dreaded. His office seemed to shrink around him as the agent's words echoed in his mind.

"Mr. Tanaka," the agent said coldly, "we have footage of you returning Mach 2 to Nori Aoki, resulting in the destruction of Mach 3. The damage you've allowed to unfold on the global stage has embarrassed Japan. Consider yourself dismissed, effective immediately."

"Understood," Masato replied, his voice betraying no emotion. He disconnected the call and stared at the blank screen for a moment, processing the weight of what had just happened.