Chapter 26: Alpha Mode

Hiro's heart raced beneath the metallic armor of his Mach as he hovered above the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo. Sweat trickled down his forehead, his grip tightening on the controls. The standoff between him and Daiki had reached its boiling point, with Nori – helpless and unable to move in his damaged Mach armor – caught in the crossfire. Below them, the Japanese military swarmed around the building like a nest of angry hornets, their weapons trained on the Machs overhead, vengeance burning in their eyes after losing Atsuko in battle.

"Run, Hiro!" Nori's voice crackled through the comms, passion and desperation lacing every word. "Get out of here while you still can!"

But Hiro's resolve was unshakable, anchored by the knowledge that running was never an option. He had to save Nori, no matter the cost. In a swift motion, he activated one of his soul blades, the weapon humming with energy as it extended from his Mach's arm.

Daiki laughed, the sound echoing through the communication channel like the cackle of a hyena. "You think I'm afraid of your little toy?" he sneered. "To use that blade, you'd have to slice through Mach 2 and kill your precious ally. And we both know you don't have the guts."

Hiro's jaw clenched, but he refused to react to Daiki's taunts. This was all part of his plan. As his other hand moved subtly, he released a flare towards the ground below. The brilliant light erupted in a blinding display, drawing the attention of the Japanese military and, more importantly, Daiki.

"Damn you!" Daiki snarled, momentarily distracted by the sudden burst of light.

As the flare descended, casting a harsh glow across the battlefield, Hiro's thoughts raced. *This is my chance. I have to act now, or we're all done for.* His determination surged like a tidal wave, ready to crash down on Daiki and end this nightmare once and for all.

"Remember who you're dealing with, Daiki," Hiro warned, his voice cold as steel. "I won't let you harm anyone else."

Daiki's eyes snapped back to Hiro, expecting him to still be holding the soul blade. Instead, his gaze was met with an empty-handed Mach. Confusion flickered across Daiki's faceplate as he scanned the area for the missing weapon. But it was already too late.

"Looking for this?" Nori's voice crackled through the comms, his tone dripping with defiance. And in that split second, Daiki finally understood Hiro's plan.

The soul blade had been passed to Nori during the flare's distraction. Daiki's eyes widened as Nori plunged the blade into Daiki's Mach armor, piercing through and sinking into his leg. A scream of agony tore from Daiki's lips as his grip on Nori faltered.

"Damn you!" Daiki raged, his voice strained with pain.

"An idiot like you could never win," Nori replied, his own pain evident. With a final burst of strength, Nori wrenched himself free from Daiki's hold, plummeting towards the ground below.

Hiro's heart pounded in his chest as he watched him fall. *I can't let him crash.* Without hesitation, Hiro blasted forward, reaching out to grab Nori before he could hit the ground.

"Are you okay?" Hiro asked urgently, gripping Nori tightly.

"Y-yeah," Nori stuttered, pain lacing his voice. "Thanks, Hiro."

"Listen, you need to get out of here," Hiro urged, concern flooding his thoughts. "You've done enough, Nori. You destroyed Mach 12 and damaged Daiki's Mach 6. You've proven your power."

"I won't run away," Nori stubbornly insisted, his determination unwavering. "I am destine to become the most powerful pilot who ever lived."

"Please," Hiro pleaded. "For your own safety, go!"