Chapter 12: Loss

Yutaka idly stirred his coffee, watching the heavy cream spiral through the rich brown liquid. Across the small café table, Kimiko Suzuki fidgeted with the hem of her jacket, her dark eyes fixed on the old Tamagotchi hanging from Yutaka's bag. The worn plastic casing and faded colours did little to disguise what she believed it to be – a Mach.

"So the Japanese government are the only ones with Machs, huh?" Kimiko asked, feigning disinterest. Her fingers tapped an impatient rhythm on the tabletop. She was calculating, trying to figure out a way to snatch the hidden power within Yutaka's reach.

Yutaka merely smiled, taking a sip of his coffee. He had noticed her gaze lingering on his bag but chose not to comment, curious about her next move. "I'm afraid so," he replied, adjusting his glasses and studying her intently. "Seems you will just have to go back to living your ordinary life."

Kimiko's jaw clenched, frustration simmering beneath her cool exterior. She knew Yutaka wouldn't willingly hand over the Mach, even for Hiro's sake. And she refused to sit idly by while Hiro faced this battle alone. *I need that power,* she thought. *I can help him, even if they don't believe in me.*

"Fine," she snapped, pushing back her chair. "If there are no other Machs, then I'll just leave and find another way to help Hiro." As she rose, her arm 'accidentally' knocked over her coffee cup, spilling its contents onto Yutaka's pants.

"Ah!" Yutaka yelped, leaping to his feet. His face flushed with embarrassment as he frantically dabbed at the spreading stain with a napkin. This was the moment Kimiko had been waiting for.

With Yutaka preoccupied, she seized her chance. Her hand darted out, snatching the Tamagotchi from his bag in one swift motion. She didn't hesitate, racing toward the café's exit and leaving Yutaka to deal with the coffee-soaked aftermath.

As she sprinted through the bustling streets, Kimiko clutched the Tamagotchi tightly, determination surging through her veins. *I will prove myself,* she vowed. *Hiro needs me, and I won't let him down.*

The weight of the Tamagotchi in her palm served as a reminder of the immense power now within her grasp – and the responsibility that came with it.

-----

Kimiko burst through the door of her home, the Tamagotchi clutched tightly in her hand. Her heart raced as she slammed the door behind her, a mixture of adrenaline and fear coursing through her veins. *What have I done?* she thought, but there was no turning back now.

"Okay, focus," she muttered to herself, sitting at her computer. She needed a crisis, something big enough to justify her actions and convince Yutaka to let her keep the Mach. Her fingers flew across the keyboard, scouring the web for any ongoing emergencies that required immediate intervention.

"Come on, there's got to be something," she whispered, her desperation mounting with every click. Finally, her eyes locked onto a headline: "Terrorists infiltrate government building in South Africa, police unable to breach advanced weaponry."

"Perfect," Kimiko breathed, her heart pounding in her chest. She skimmed the article, absorbing every detail she could. This was her chance to prove herself, to show everyone – especially Hiro – that she was capable of wielding a Mach's power for good.

With her mission chosen, Kimiko turned her attention to the Tamagotchi. She studied it intently, searching for any hidden features that might reveal its true nature. Her fingers pressed each button tentatively, growing increasingly frustrated when nothing seemed to happen.

"Is this really just a toy?" she muttered, doubt creeping into her thoughts. *No, it can't be. There has to be something more here.*

As she went to set the Tamagotchi down, a faint glint caught her eye. Upon closer inspection, she noticed what appeared to be a thumbprint on the screen. Her pulse quickened as she pressed her own thumb against the print, hoping against hope that this would unlock the Mach within.