Chapter 23: Daiki

Daiki's fingers tapped rapidly on the edge of his Mach control panel as he scanned the building for any sign of an active Mach. The dim, flickering lights of the abandoned facility cast eerie shadows on the walls, and the stale air were a reminder that their side was losing. His mind wandered back to the past, to the day that had changed his life forever.

"Minako!" Daiki shouted as he burst through the door of their small apartment, only to be met by a sea of stern-faced officers. Panic welled up in his chest, his heart pounding in sync with the frantic questions tumbling from his mouth. "Where's my sister?"

"Daiki," one officer sighed, shaking his head, "Minako didn't show up for work today. We're doing everything we can to find her, but so far, there's no trace."

Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. The case grew cold, most people giving up on finding Minako – everyone except for Daiki. His eyes grew dark with determination, dedicating every moment he could spare to asking anyone who knew her, searching for any clue to her whereabouts.

"Nothing," a friend would mutter, shrugging helplessly. "I'm sorry, Daiki."

"Me neither," another would add, avoiding Daiki's gaze. "I wish I could help you."

He gritted his teeth each time, vowing never to give up on her like they had.

A year passed before the breakthrough finally came. An anonymous tip led the police to raid the docks in Vancouver, uncovering a human trafficking ring operating out of a hidden pier. Among the several women found huddled together in terror was Minako, her once-sparkling eyes now dull and haunted.

"Minako..." Daiki choked out as he enveloped her in a tight embrace, tears streaming down his face. "You're safe now."

"Daiki," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "I can't believe it's really you."

He made a silent promise that night to never leave her side again, watching over her as she tried to heal from the horrors she had faced. The vibrant, bubbly girl he had known was replaced by a fragile shell of a person, and his heart broke for her.

"Thank you," Minako murmured one night as Daiki stroked her hair, the moonlight casting a soft glow on her face. "For never giving up on me."

"Always, Minako," he replied solemnly. "I'll always be here for you."

As Daiki's scan came to an end, he found himself back in the present, alone in the empty facility once more. The weight of his sister's memory weighed heavily on him, but it only served to strengthen him. He would continue fighting for justice, no matter the cost, because that was what Minako deserved – and what they all deserved.

-----

As time passed, Daiki couldn't help but notice the silence surrounding Minako's case. There were no visits from the police to discuss the matter, no calls for the family to testify in court. Frustrated and seeking answers, Daiki began his own investigation into why the case was taking so long to reach trial.

With unwavering determination, he uncovered the truth: the police had made arrests, but all of the suspects had taken lesser pleas and received lower prison sentences in exchange for information on the leader of the trafficking ring. The man responsible for Minako's abduction would serve only three years behind bars – a disturbingly light sentence in Daiki's eyes.

"Three years? That's it?" Daiki muttered to himself, his fists clenched. "This isn't justice; this is a mockery."

Fueled by anger and a desire for true justice, Daiki made a life-changing decision: he would become a prison guard. He worked tirelessly, honing his skills and biding his time, waiting for an opportunity to be transferred to the prison holding his sister's abductor. He hoped that fate would grant him this chance before the man's release.