Chapter 9: The Hanshin Incident

Masato Tanaka's footsteps echoed in the dimly lit hallway as he approached Nori Aoki's prison cell. He could feel the weight of his decisions pressing down on him, like a vice around his chest. The flickering overhead lights cast eerie shadows across the walls, setting the tone for what was about to unfold. Masato knew the risks - Noboru's plan could easily backfire, but adding Nori into the mix might just tip the scales in their favor.

He stopped outside the cell door, his hand hovering over the security panel. Taking a deep breath to calm his racing thoughts, Masato swiped his access card and entered. A lone guard stood watch inside, his eyes narrowing at the unexpected visitor.

"Leave us," Masato commanded as he flashed his ID card, his voice firm and authoritative. The guard hesitated before nodding and making a swift exit. Masato turned to face Nori, who sat on the edge of his cot, his intense gaze never leaving the newcomer.

"Listen closely," Masato began, his voice low and urgent. "Chances are, by the end of this, we'll both be in prison or dead. But we can take control of our fates, claim some power for ourselves."

Nori's eyes gleamed with interest, his muscular form leaning forward ever so slightly. "What's your proposal?"

"Your vitals have never been affected by the use of the Mach, unlike Noboru," Masato explained, watching Nori's expression carefully. "You have a unique resilience that sets you apart. With you in play, we might stand a chance against the rogue."

A predatory smile crept onto Nori's face. "I want to be the only Mach pilot left standing. I want true power."

"Your conviction will lead us to victory." With a flourish, Masato produced an old VR headset - Mach 2. "Eliminate the rogue, and after that, you can do what you please." He handed it to Nori, who took it reverently.

"Deal," Nori agreed, his voice a low growl. He slipped on the headset, and in an instant, the Mach 2 armor enveloped him. A surge of power coursed through his veins, and he felt invincible. With a roar, he blasted a hole in the wall and took flight, leaving destruction in his wake.

The prison alarms began to blare, but Masato was already on the move, slipping back into the shadows of the facility. As he made his way through the chaos, his mind raced with thoughts of the impending showdown. For better or worse, this was the path he had chosen.

-----

Hiro touched down in front of the warehouse with the welcome Mach 1 painted on the roof, his teal cybernetic suit gleaming under the harsh glow of streetlights. The wind whipped through the area as he surveyed the area, anxiety bubbling in his chest. He knew Kimiko was inside, held captive by Noboru, and that knowledge spurred him into action.

"AI, establish communication with Mach 3," Hiro ordered, his voice steady despite his racing heart.

"Establishing a connection," the AI responded, and within seconds, Hiro heard the familiar voice of Noboru, amplified through the speakers of their respective suits.

"Trying to negotiate, are you?" Noboru taunted, his voice dripping with disdain. "Pathetic."

"Listen, I don't want to fight you," Hiro implored, tension tightening his voice. "I think your suit is messing with your mind, amplifying your desire for vengeance. You need to stand down before it's too late."

"Ha! I should have known you'd try to distract me from my mission," Noboru scoffed, his tone icy. "My only goal is to rid the world of criminals, and nothing you say will change that."

"Kimiko isn't a criminal!" Hiro insisted, desperation creeping into his voice. "She's innocent!"

"Nobody is truly innocent," Noboru retorted, his voice dark and cold. "The time for talk is over."