Chapter 24: Duel

Daiki's eyes scanned the room, his gaze methodical and cold as it swept over the medical staff in the Embassy's medical bay. With every ID he checked, a flicker of frustration crossed his face, but his voice remained steady, determined. He knew the Mach user was hiding somewhere in this very room; he could feel it in his bones. The steady hum of medical equipment served as a backdrop to Daiki's terse interrogation.

As Daiki approached Atsuko, her heart raced, though her face remained calm. Her leg throbbed, a reminder of the injury she had faked to blend in. She watched him closely, her mind racing for an escape plan.

"Miss," Daiki said, approaching her with a suspicious glare. "Can you tell me why you were at the Canadian Embassy today?"

Atsuko forced herself to breathe evenly, meeting his gaze with a practiced ease. "I was here for a visa interview," she replied, her voice steady despite the tension coiling in her chest.

"Interesting," Daiki said, raising an eyebrow. "And what brought you to Canada?"

"Work, I am middle management at Tokayo International" she answered, her fingers tightening around the portable speaker hidden in her pocket. "My company is sending me there for a project."

Daiki studied her face, searching for any sign of deception. Something about her seemed off, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. The room grew tense, the other patients and medical staff watching the exchange with bated breath.

"Hmm and yet you don't have a bag, documents or a purse on you. I could assume you lost them in the panic but unless you can produce your ID as proof you are who you say you are, I am afraid you must come with me." Daiki accused, drawing his gun in one swift motion. Gasps echoed throughout the room, but Atsuko merely smiled.

With a flick of her thumb, she pressed the volume up button on her speaker. An explosion shook the building, causing Daiki to lose his footing. In that split second, she activated her Mach, the portable speaker encasing her body in a brown armor just as Daiki pulled the trigger. The bullet ricocheted off her suit, and she stood there, transformed and triumphant.

"Is this what you were looking for?" Atsuko taunted, her voice laced with adrenaline. She knew she had revealed herself, but the thrill of the fight coursed through her veins, urging her on.

Daiki stared at her, his mind racing. He'd found the Mach user he'd been searching for, but now that she was standing before him, this was not Mach 2, he couldn't help but feel a sense of dread. How would he defeat this pilot he had no data on, and at what cost?

"Alright then," Daiki said, a hint of admiration in his voice. "Color me impressed. But this ends here." He activated his own Mach armor from his MP3 player, and within moments, he was encased in a glowing blue suit that radiated power.

"Let's see how you handle this," Atsuko challenged, opening fire on Daiki. He responded by activating his shield, easily blocking her attack.

"Clearly, you're new to this," he taunted, before firing a single shot from his arm cannon. The force sent Atsuko crashing through the wall, debris scattering all around her. Daiki frowned. "I was hoping for a more skilled opponent."

Atsuko got back up, anger burning in her eyes. "I will destroy you for the protection of Japan!" she declared.

Daiki let out a derisive laugh. "With your low skill? Your government sent you here to die!"

Her face hardened with determination. "I have no intention of dying," she retorted, and blasted a hole in the exterior wall. Sunlight spilled into the room as she made her escape, Daiki hot on her heels.

"Running away? Fight like a soldier!" he shouted after her, his frustration evident.

-----

Outside, news crews and civilians were gathered, their attention riveted on the spectacle unfolding before them. With a burst of speed, Atsuko attacked Daiki from above, sending him crashing through the concrete and creating a small crater. She hovered above him, her armored form casting an imposing shadow.