Chapter 16: Koi

As the vibrant colors of the festival lights began to fade into the evening sky, Nori and Hiro found themselves standing on a small footbridge that crossed over a tranquil koi pond. The water shimmered with a lustrous glow, reflecting the final remnants of the festivities around them. Hiro's dark hair swayed gently in the cool breeze, his slim figure leaning against the bridge railing as he stared out at the swirling patterns created by the fish below.

"Hey, Hiro," Nori said hesitantly, breaking the silence that had settled between them. "We've met before, you know. Two years ago."

Hiro blinked and turned to face Nori, confusion etched across his features. He scanned his memories, trying to place where he might have encountered the muscular, shaved-headed young man before. But nothing came to mind, only the endless faces of people he had met throughout his life. His brow furrowed, frustration simmering just beneath the surface.

Nori chuckled softly, seeing Hiro's struggle. "Don't worry about it," he reassured him. "I don't blame you for not remembering. To you, it must have been just another day."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Hiro asked, curiosity piqued. He bit his lip, trying to recall any significant events from two years ago.

But before Hiro could continue, Nori cut in. "That day changed my whole life," he admitted, his voice tinged with a mixture of sadness and gratitude. He looked away from Hiro, his eyes focused on the orange and white scales of the koi as they weaved through the water.

Hiro watched Nori carefully, his own thoughts racing. He couldn't help but wonder what had transpired between them that day, and how it could have left such a lasting impact on someone like Nori, who seemed so guarded and hardened by life.

"Tell me about it," Hiro implored, his voice gentle yet insistent. "Please, I want to know."

Nori hesitated for a moment before looking back at Hiro with a somber expression. He took in a deep breath and began to recount the day that had changed the course of his life forever.

Nori's voice grew distant as Hiro found himself transported back to that fateful day, the memory unfolding before him like a vivid dream. The classroom was bathed in the golden light of early morning, dust particles dancing in the beams as they cut through the blinds. A younger Nori sat alone at his desk, hunched over a worn notebook, the tip of his tongue poking out in concentration as he carefully crafted the image of a fierce pirate.

The door slid open with a sharp creak, and a group of boys swaggered into the room, their laughter echoing off the walls. Nori's hand froze mid-stroke, his eyes darting up to assess the intrusion. Their voices carried easily across the empty space, each word a razor slicing through Nori's self-esteem.

"Look at him, thinks he's so much better than us just because his parents have money," one boy sneered, his gaze fixed on Nori.

"Let's teach this loser a lesson," another chimed in, a wicked grin stretching across his face.

Before Nori could react, the first boy marched over and snatched the notebook from his grasp, tossing it to his friends at the back of the class. Panic welled up in Nori's chest as he lunged forward, desperately trying to reclaim his precious work. Each time he came close, the book was yanked away, the boys laughing mercilessly as they played their cruel game of keep-away.

"Enough!" the leader barked, and with a final, malicious smirk, one of the boys flung the notebook out of the open window. Nori watched in horror as his pages of painstakingly drawn manga were consumed by the rain-soaked puddle below, the ink bleeding into an indecipherable mess.

Tears blurred his vision as he fled the classroom, his heart pounding wildly in his ears. He locked himself in the bathroom stall, his sobs echoing off the tiled walls. He had poured so much of himself into those pages, and now it was all gone.