Chapter 7: Noboru

Cold iron bars separated Masato Tanaka from Noboru, the once-celebrated detective now imprisoned for murder. The dimly lit cell cast eerie shadows on Noboru's face as he sighed deeply, reflecting on the question Masato had just posed: how did a man of his caliber end up behind these bars?

"Alright," Noboru began, his voice rough and weary. "I'll tell you. After I arrested those dirty cops, one of them, Ro, managed to escape. He wasn't there that night during the drug operation, so he avoided getting caught with the others."

Noboru stared at the cold concrete floor as memories flooded back. "Two weeks later, I was working the night shift when I received a text from my wife. She said it was an emergency and I needed to come home immediately. I tried calling her, but she wouldn't pick up. So I raced home, my heart pounding in my chest."

The pain in Noboru's eyes was unmistakable as he continued. "When I arrived, I found my wife and son dead. They'd been murdered." His voice trembled with emotion, fists clenched tightly. "Ro had planted evidence to make it look like I was responsible. That's why I'm here, rotting in this hellhole. I'll never be let out, and I swear I'll never forgive Ro or those filthy cops for what they did to my family."

Masato leaned closer to the bars, his gray hair catching the faint light. A cunning smile spread across his face. "I like what I hear, Noboru. I have the paperwork to order your release right here." He patted a thick envelope. "We need someone like you, with a strong sense of justice. A piece of dangerous government tech was stolen, and we believe you can help us find it."

Noboru's brow furrowed, suspicion clouding his thoughts. This was too good to be true, wasn't it? Would they just use him and toss him back into this cage once he'd served their purpose? "How do I know you won't just throw me back in here when the job is done?"

"Ah," Masato replied, his cunning smile unwavering. "That's where trust comes in, my friend. We're not just looking for any detective; we're looking for someone who knows what it's like to lose everything. Someone who'll fight for justice at all costs."

Noboru hesitated, weighing his options. He could stay here, trapped in a perpetual state of vengeance, or take a leap of faith with Masato and possibly reclaim his life while chasing down those who had wronged him. It was a gamble, but one that might be worth taking.

"Alright, Tanaka," Noboru said finally, his voice resolute. "I'm in."

"Excellent!" Masato clapped his hands together and stood, the sound echoing through the small cell. "Now, let me tell you about the perks that come with this offer: your criminal file will be deleted, giving you a clean slate. And, of course, there's the chance to save the world from all those terrible people willing to attack the innocent." He leaned in closer, lowering his voice. "And between you and me, the government would be more than happy to look the other way if you sought revenge on those responsible for your family's deaths."

Noboru's eyes widened at the mention of revenge. The thought of getting justice for his wife and son was almost too tempting to resist. But he had to be sure of what he was getting into. "What exactly will I be doing?"

"You'll be briefed on our way," Masato replied cryptically. He motioned to the guard by the door, who stepped forward and removed Noboru's handcuffs with a heavy clang. Together, the two men walked out of the prison, leaving behind the cold, gray walls that had been Noboru's home for far too long.

As they settled into Masato's sleek, black private car, the scent of leather upholstery mingling with the faint smell of cologne, Noboru couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and unease. He glanced at Masato, whose calm demeanor seemed to suggest that everything was under control.