.:~Chapter twenty-four~:.

I've met a lot of stupid people in my life.

It seems inevitable, you know?

But never, in my entire life, have I met someone so stupid that I wanted to physically hurt them.

"Thayer?" I asked softly. "Do you want me to punch you in the face now or later?"

"Alright" he cleared his throat. "You're upset."

I just glared.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I was just following your advice." he defended.

My mouth fell open and my fists clenched at my sides. "Excuse me?"

"Yeah, you know that whole 'Be the Alpha I know you can be' and 'You're much stronger than you're dad.'"

"I don't sound like that" I spit in offense at his stupid girly imitation of my voice. "And I didn't mean that I wanted you to sign your own death certificate!" I started slapping him in the chest repeatedly, as hard as I could. "I just meant to stand up for yourself, you idiot!"

"I did!" He defended. "I'm tired of him acting like he's better than me when we all know that he isn't! I know that I can run the pack way better than him, and this is the only way that I know how to insure that I can do that."

I stopped hitting him in the chest as I looked up at him. His eyes were hard with determination and strength. He really believe that he could do this. He was going to do this.

My heart clenched painfully in my chest.

He was gonna die.

"You're going to have to kill your dad Thayer" I whispered. "He's gonna try to kill you"

He closed his eyes tightly. "I know"

"This isn't about how smart and able you are Thayer, it's about how strong you are too." I whispered as my heart did that stupid thing again.

I really need to get that checked.

"I know" he whispered back just as softly.

Gently taking his hand in mine, the tiny tingles that rushed up my arms were unwelcome, but at the same time comforting. Thayer snapped his eyes open and stared right at me.

I looked him in the eye. "Are you strong enough to kill your dad?"

Giving my hand a tight squeeze, he looked to the ground.

"I'm gonna have to be"

...........

He's going to die.

Thayer was going to die.

Those thought seemed to be the only ones in my mind. No matter how hard I tried to turn it off, the thoughts kept coming back.

Looking around, I tried to find something that would distract me from my disastrous thoughts. My eyes instantly landed on the faint bruises on Thayer's face, and I was instantly reminded of why I couldn't sleep last night.

"What happened to your face?" I asked as my eyes racked over his face. Thayer turned to volume down on the TV as he turned to face me.

"When I got back from taking you home the other day, my dad really started laying into me. It didn't affect me, I'm used to it, you know?" he questioned. "Anyway he started saying all of this shit about you, and I kind of lost it. Nailed him so hard in the head that he fell to the floor.

"Of course he got his revenge when he got back up. My mom was screaming at him to stop, but he never listens." he looked at me with soft eyes. "That's when I challenged him for the pack. Hearing him say all of that stuff about you, I just snapped, and I knew that I had to take the pack from him. I couldn't let him continue to ruin everyone's lives."

"You know it's only hot when you defend me when I'm still in the room, right?"

Shaking his head at me, he let out a laugh, his smile lighting up his face.

He's going to die.

How can someone who looks so alive have a future so dark?

Suddenly it became hard to keep tears away.

How come all of the good ones die first?

Suddenly Thayer's face changed. It went from being amused, to nothing but seriousness. Leaning close to me, he cupped my face into his hands and stared at me with those captivating blue eyes.

Why is he staring at me like that?

"Farrah," he said my name like a prayer, "I-I have to tell you something."

There was adoration in his eyes, and something else that I couldn't quite put my finger on, something bigger.

It was almost like lo-

Oh my god.

He took a deep breath. "Farrah, I'm in lo-"

He was interrupted by the sound of a crying baby.

Breaking away from his hold, I turn and saw that it was our fake baby that was crying. I had thrown it onto the other couch, not wanting anything to do with it, but now I couldn't be more grateful for the annoying little doll that liked to ruin my life.

Jumping up like I was on fire, I rushed over to the doll, picking it up and rocking it softly until it stopped crying. I couldn't get my hands to stop shaking while I did it though. I could feel Thayer's eyes burning into my back as I stood facing away from him. It did nothing to settle my nerves. In fact, it only made them worse.

He was going to tell me that he loves me.

Oh my god, he loves me.

"So um," I cleared my throat, "What did you want to tell me?"

Why did I say that?

It was silent for a while. He knows that I know what he was going to say. He has too. He was going to tell me that he loves me. I held my breath.

He coughed. "Nothing, it's not important."

"Oh." I said.

This was great, right? He didn't say it.

So why does it kind of feel like I've been punched in the stomach?