~•~Chapter Thirty-Two~•~

Just posted a new story called "After Dark" Check it out, yeah? If you love RU, you'll definitely love it!

XX infinite_faults
___

"Thayer, I'm going to kill you!"

A gentle chuckled sounded from the doorway. I whipped around, coming face to face with Thayer's mom. I could feel my cheeks burning.

"Oh, I remember when I first saw my mark, too," Her motherly aura was so strong, it almost knocked me off of my feet. "You'll learn to be proud of it."

I couldn't help my raised eyebrows. "You mean, I'll be alright with this shark attack on my neck?"

Heather let out a very unlady like snort. "It will heal."

I shot an unconvinced look at the mirror. I winced at my reflection.

I wasn't joking when I compared my new mark with a shark bite. Last night, the acceptance of the bond was so euphoric, I didn't even regester the pain. It's probably a good thing, considering my rabid anger towards my mate right now.

Mate. I'm still not used to saying that word without disgust.

"Where is Thayer, do you know?" I couldn't help myself. The words rolled off of my tongue without consent. I almost winced at how pathetic I sounded.

Heather smiled. Her eyes sparkle like Thayer's when she does that. "He went for a run."

I hmmed in acknowledgement. A pit of worry blossomed inside of my stomach, but I schooled my features before Heather could see it.

Drake is still out there. A simple run is no longer safe.

"There will be a pack meeting later tonight," Heather seemed hesitant to share this news with me, almost as if she was told to keep it a secret. Knowing her husband, she probably was. "We will be discussing the...rogue issue. You are very welcome to attend, but you'll have to keep the meeting a secret from Thayer."

My eyes were narrowed into slits. "Why?"

Heather was uncomfortable. "Given the unsteady circumstances, Jarred would much rather Thayer not attend."

"You mean,your husband is banning Thayer because he challenged him for the pack."

Heather winced. "I mean exactly that. A new Alpha cannot be chosen until June. Until then, it will be best for Thayer and Jarred to stay far apart."

I've always hated that stupid June rule. On June 15, a pack will take a consecutive vote on who should be Alpha. Ninety percent of the time, the reigning Alpha will be voted in. However, if a new candidate wins the vote, he must fight the previous Alpha to the death to prove his worthiness. If he loses, the reigning Alpha remains in power. Any challenge against the throne before June 15 is considered treason, and the rebel will be immediately executed. Usually, the rebel will escape and become a rogue.
That's how my parents became rogues.

I was born into a pack. I've never been allowed to know which one. I was only an infant when my father attacked the Alpha and killed him. My whole family fled the pack before any retaliation could occur. My mom never told me the reason behind my father's betrayal, she just always stressed the importance of it. Maybe one day, when I meet my parents again in Hell, they'll tell me the reason why.

"Thayer has every right to attend that meeting!" My voice was harsh, and full of authority. I hide my shaking fists behind my back.

"I don't disagree with you," Heather's voice was nothing but a whisper. "But as Luna, I don't get to make the rules. Don't forget that."