chapter thirteen

Another three months went by, during this time the sultan left for his campaign. It was a bittersweet moment for the favourite, she found herself missing his company and craving the sound of his voice. She missed his ocean eyes and his amused smile. 

Often times she found herself thinking about him, then she would snap herself out of these 'fantasy' like thoughts. She saw what happens when one falls in love with the sultan, she had no intention of being one of those many women. She agreed he was very handsome and she was somewhat attracted to him, but she wasn't in love. She couldn't be she told herself whenever her thoughts clouded her goal. 

Hurrem hatun had given birth to a girl. Gülnihal was told that the new baby sultana was very adorable and would grow to be beautiful. The brunette just kept a smile on her face as the harem spoke.

​​​​​​" Thankfully she has a daughter. If hurrem had another son, she would have destroyed us"! 

" How can she destroy us? She has no power to do so "  Gülnihal responded, she was getting irritated by this same conversation. Why the harem girls still felt nervous,after mentioning the red haired hatuns name didn't make sense. The woman had no power anymore so there nothing to be afraid of.

" Gülnihal read the letter again" asked Çiçek hatun. 

Gülnihal smiled and unfolded the peice of paper. She kept her eyes on the girls as she began reading. 

"𝘎ü𝘭𝘯𝘪𝘩𝘢𝘭 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘶𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘰𝘯. 𝘔𝘺 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘦𝘮".   

𝘔𝘺 𝘢𝘳𝘮𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦, 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴. 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦.   

𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘚𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘯 𝘚𝘶𝘭𝘦𝘪𝘮𝘢𝘯"

The harem girls cheered and whispered about the letter. It wasn't odd that Gülnihal resived letters, she had a draw full ever since the sultan left. Often she found herself reading the letters late at night, she didn't know why she did it. But she found comfort in his words and peace with every letter he sent. 

It wasn't love, she thought as she re - folded the letter and put it into her draw.  She had promised herself this wouldn't happen and she was determined to keep that promise. 

A week later whilst in the bathhouse, ayse hatun ran in. Her eyes full of panic and face paler than usual. Gülnihal dropped the item she was using and rushed over to her friend. 

" My dear friend, what happened? Why are you so afraid"? 

Ayse then took a deep breath and responded, her voice trembling and eyes not fixing on a location for too long. 

" His majesty..his gallery sank. It's believed that he has passed away"

It was as if the air had left her body and someone was choking her. Invisible hands pressed down on her neck and stopped her breathing. Slowly she sank into the floor. Her gaze fixed on the floor, she had no thoughts. No idea how to process what she just found out. It was as if all logic left her.

" Alright, It is best I visit the valide. I'll see you soon"

Once ayse left, Gülnihal put on a plain red dress and braided her now damp hair. Even though bad news had arrived she would need to look appropriate if she wished to enter the valide's chambers.

Upon the walk to the chambers, she met the looked of other concubines and workers. They looked tense and nervous. Gülnihal didn't blame them, she too was afraid. Who would rule the empire know? Prince Mustafa? Prince Mehmet? 

No it would be prince Mustafa, he was the eldest son, he would be the knew sultan. But then what would happen to Gülnihal? Ayse? The other concubines? Would they be married off? 

As she drowned deeper into her own thoughts she only barely realised that she had arrived at the chambers. The aga in front of her door allowed her inside. 

Gülnihal bowed quickly even though no one had glanced her way. She saw mahidevran sultana and prince Mustafa's sat. The sultana was in tears as well as Hatice sultana. Gulfem hatun was with the valide. 

Each woman clung to each other, not realising that the young prince was left unattended.

Making her way to the prince, she carefully picked him up and sat him on her lap. He looked tired and restless. 

" Sultana, should I take prince Mustafa to his chambers"? 

Mahidevran, now realising her son was left alone rose with guilty eyes. She patted his head and kissed his cheek before saying anything.

" Yes thank you. I'll be there shortly " 

Gülnihal nodded whilst holding the young princes hand. 

A few hourse later, Mustafa had fallen asleep and Gülnihal once again sat in her chambers. She had been lying down when Ayse retuned. 

" Any news"? 

The dark haired woman smiled sadly and sat next to her. Carefully she took Gülnihal's hand and squeezed it.

" I know you are upset my dear, let's talk about it "? 

Startled Gülnihal pulled away, she physically turned away from the hatun and began playing with the ends of her skirts.

" What are you talking about? Speak plainly "

Ayse just sighed loudly and began a rant 

" Gülnihal admit it, you have feelings for the sultan. I know you are trying to fight them but they are there " 

Angered by this, Gülnihal wipped around and stared at her friend with glassy eyes

" What feelings? I have no feelings for anyone. Now end this conversation " 

​​​​​​​With that she lay back down, her head hurting. 

A/n: sorry for the delay! I promise things will get more exciting after the next chapter!