chapter 15

Entering her lover's chambers Gülnihal called out for him.

" Suleiman" 

He turned around, blue eyes meeting her brown ones. His Posture straight and his arms behind his back as if he was a school teacher giving out strict instructions. A chill went down her spine as she bowed, all sorts of negative thoughts filling her head as he remind silent.

Did he know? Did daye hatun somehow find out and tell him? Was she going into exil? With shaky legs she walked closer, she would not give herself away. She would act normal, her sweet normal self. 

The sultan stepped closer towards her and took ahold of her upper arms softly, his facial features giving a soft look also, his eyes gentle and warm. When he spoke his voice too came out lightly. What was going on? 

" Gülnihal, my light in the darkness and joy in my sadness. The ones who's soft red lips heal my soul and voice fills me with overwhelming happiness. I have spent countless nights, days questioning what I did to deserve such a gentle soul. Whatever I did I thank that act since I have gained an angel, who soothes my soul"

She stood frozen, her eyes glossy as she took in his words, she had heard similar things in fairytales and stories told to her by friends from her village. But to be the one receiving the words? To have someone describe her with such words made her want to burst into tears, but she didn't. Instead she wrapped her arms around the sultan and kissed him deeply, putting all her emotions into that one kiss, it seemed to work so he he pulled back and smiled. 

They remind in a loving embrace for a few minutes until he broke the peaceful silence with his deep soft voice. 

" I have a night planned, tonight we shall sleep under the stars with only the moonlight to guid us". 

Smiling she nodded and they made their way into the carriage, it had been full of blankets and pillows. But what caught her by suprise was the bundle of red and white roses which sat on top of a pillow. The sultan handed it to her and she blushed and smiled. They smelt lovely, their rich scent making her feel as if she was on cloud nine. As if she was living in a fairytale.

They arrived at a location in the middle of a forest, a tent already set up in the middle. Suddenly a realisation hit her, they were in the middle of a forest, what if bandits were roaming around? But it was as if Suleiman caught wind of her thoughts and decided to ease her fears. 

" We are heavily gaureded so there is no need to worry or get concerned. I may be taking a risk but I'm also a sultan. I cannot go walking around without my security even if I wanted to" 

She laughed at this, linking her arm through his as they walked around, taking in their surroundings and talking about everything and anything. It was a calming atmosphere and Gülnihal loved it, she had been dreaming of something like this ever since she was younger. Dreams about princes and a romantic getaway to a remote place in which she and her lover could stay together. In a way her dreams did some true. Not in the way she wanted and she had a sultan instead of a prince, but she got a part of that dream through tonight and she would cherish it forever. 

After their walk they had the blankets spread onto the grassy floor and lay, looking at the stars, they were beautiful, words wouldn't be able to do them justice. 

" They are beautiful are they not"? She said allowed as they made their way into the tent to retire. The sultan chuckled and agreed, his arms wrapping around her as they fell into a peaceful sleep.

The next morning after sorting their appearance out to the best of their ability, they set off back to the palace. It took until an hour before the afternoon and Gülnihal awoke from a short nap to find herself in the garden of the palace.

Rubbish her face and brushing down her hair she got out and went straight to her chambers. Suleiman had left to go to a council meeting since he would be going to a campaign next week. 

Once in her chambers she spotted the twins sitting up in their cribs. It was as if they were talking to each other. Gülnihal laughed and kissed them on their cheeks and forehead. Halima smiled and orhan looked at her with big eyes. 

But what changed the mood was when Ahmed came in, he hugged her tightly damanding to be picked up. She did as requested since he seemed upset and on the verge of tears.

Concerned she felt his forehead and noticed a fever. Now she was worried and she called out for zehra hatun and defne. The maids went on to explain what had occurred.

" Sultana please do not worry. He caught a fever last night and we went to the physician immediately. She has cleared him of any danger and has given medication. He took it just this morning and would need to take it again after evening meal"

She nodded and then put her son into bed, that day until the evening she stayed beside him. Praying for his health and tending after his every need. 

Ahmed would get better, definitely he would.