chapter 5

Gülnihal had finally emerged from her chambers the following afternoon. Her head was more clear and her thoughts under control.

That day she wore a beautiful royal blue dress with gold embroidery all over the fabric. The dress a daring choice since it had a slip on the side of one leg. Thankfully it wasn't noticeable unless she moved the skirts about, her hair was freshly washed and scented with rich oils. She decorated her head with a sapphire circlet. It had chains that rested on her hair, the chains were finely made and full of small sapphire stones.

The rest of her jewelry was also sapphire, making her look like a regal queen, as if she had truly come from the heart of the ocean.

After taking in her appearance she put on a lavender scented perfume, after some time she ordered her maids to dress all her children in blue. The boys would wear dark blue that almost looke d like black whilst her daughter would be in a pretty midnight blue. The twins were also drapped in blue blankets.

As she walked out of the harem and into the garden she hoped all the people watching would only have one thought their head:

That Gülnihal sultana and her children are one unit, as she walked past the lines of young woman getting ready for their classes she felt a sort of comfort in her blue attire, as if the blue would shield her from a blazing fire. Her ocean versus their fire.

After settling down on the cushioned ottomans she placed her twins in the cribs she had ordered out earlier, they had warm blankets inside already so she didn't worry much about the cold since it was a warm day. Her son Ahmed ran to play as his maids chased after him playfully.

" Defne, give me my embroidery and please do keep an eye on the children" she said after a few minutes. The maid nodded and they began their quite afternoon.

It wasn't until the trays of food came that she swore a familiar figure, silently she cursed herself as the person stopped and frowned.

Clothed in a green dress that looked almost ink black with her hair loose was mahidevran sultana with her son. Gulbahar sultana wasn't present. The brunette jolted up and walked towards her trying to mask her reaction with a stiff smile.

" Sultana, I did not expect you! What a suprise" she said as she offered them a seat, thankfully they declined saying that they had just come for some air. They would be dining indoors since they had eaten breakfast outside. Once they had left the brunette sat back down trying to find her peace once more.

" Sultana, would you like to eat anything else or should I clear the table"? Asked Defne, Gülnihal waved her hand and the woman began clearing the table. They had been out long enough she thought taking them instead.

Inside her chambers she placed her belongings in the bed of silken sheets, then she ordered for huma hatun to be brought into her chambers. She usually gave her maids a break.

Zehra and defne would start the day by waking up Gülnihal. Then zehra would help Gülnihal get ready whilst defne the children. They would eat breakfast and then the children would play whilst Gülnihal did other tasks. After that they ate lunch in the garden mostly, the children mostly Ahmed would then be put to sleep for an hour or so. During this time, defne and zehra would be on a break until evening meal and huma hatun would take over.

Huma hatun was mostly there to take care of Gülnihal but sometimes if the children woke up early she would help Gülnihal in taking care of them. It was a lovely routine and everyone involved appreciated it.

" Sultana, you called" said huma hatun as she entered the chambers. The sultana offered her a seat and brought out a chest of clothes and fabric. It was full and had some jewelry scattered on top. Mostly the ones she hasn't worn and wasn't planning on anytime soon.

" These are some things I do not need anymore, please distribute it amongst the harem girls. I already had defne and zehra pick items they liked, you shall do so as well before the rest are gone"

Huma hatun nodded and shuffled through the chest, she ended up picking out a ruby necklace in heart shapes and a pearl white fabric. After she was done she put them away and took the chest to the harem.

An hour later she returned with an empty chest and a smile.

" Sultana the girls adored their gifts and send you their well wishes"

As she suspected she thought with a grin, huma sat back down and the two spoke in hushed tones, then unwanted topic came to.

​​​​​​Huma hatun had gathered information on the harem through defne and decided that she should report it back to her mistress.

Apparently hurrem had been in the Sultans chambers in the morning as well but this time with her children. The girls in the harem believed her to be back within favour and that he had lost interest in Gülnihal.

This was outrageous! She had worked so hard and this was the outcome? Absolutely not she thought as her cheeks burnt with anger.

Then without missing a beat, she voiced her thoughts to the only woman she could trust.

" Huma, I didn't want to do this previously but I believe we need to get rid of the witch"

The hatun gasped, obviously not expecting this. But Gülnihal sensed a future power struggle and she needed it to end before it began.

After all only one can stand at the end of it all.