chapter 8

It had officially been over six weeks since Hurrem was poisoned. Six weeks of nothing, much to Gülnihal's disappointment.

Instead she saw the red haired woman healthy and well. She had not only been visiting the sultan but had been blessed with being in Hatice Sultanas good graces. 

The double standards in the palace was getting on the brunette's nerves day by day, were was this sense of forgiveness when mahidevran committed the  almost identical crime? Was Suleiman seriously going to allow this? Gosh sometimes she wished she took the more drastic measure. But only sometimes.

So Gülnihal found herself sitting in her chambers alone, with huma hatun chatting about random topics. 

She had spent the day with her children and valide sultana. Mahidevran sultana had been sick and had been cooped up in her rooms for the past few hours. The brunette would visit her at some point. 

" Huma you may leave, I shall retire early tonight" said the woman in a quiet tone, the older women bowed and left. 

The next morning as Gülnihal was getting ready for the day she got a message delivered to her from the sultan. He had requested a audience. 

So without further ado she hurried to his chambers in which she saw hurrem, mahidevran, Gulfem and the valide sultana.

Hurrem was clothed in a deep purple dress with gold embroidery, her red hair left in its wild curles.  Mahidevran was dressed in a pale sand pink dress with her black hair in a loose braid and the valide was in a green dress with finely done embroidery. 

she joined them at the end of the line next to Gulfem hatun who was in a lovely white dress. She smiled at her, she was always a good companion to have around. The voice of reason at sometimes.

The Sultan appeared a few moments later, his hands behind his back and eyes downcasted. Gülnihal felt nervous at this and tried to put on a pleasant smile. 

" My lion what is the meaning behind this? Did something happen"? 

The valide voiced all their questions for them thankfully.

" No my valide, it's nothing to worry about. I have just decided that I would like a trip to the hunting lodge. It's been a long time since I've gone and a break is overdue"

Sighing in relief she cursed herself for being so afraid in the first place. But also why did he have to announce this to everyone? Odd.

" Excellent idea my beloved, who shall you take with you"? Asked hurrem. Her wide smile only growing. 

The sultan blinked slowly and responded in a strange tone. 

" My children obviously, I'll be taking Ahmed, Mustafa and Mehmet". 

Gülnihal could laugh at seeing the woman's face drop. It took all her will to conceal her amusement. But another question came out of her mouth without any thoughts.

" But they are so young, at least you will be taking their maids"? 

 The sultan agreed to this and said for the mother's to make their arrangements. They would be leaving within the next week. 

Gülnihal decided to have zehra hatun go with Ahmed. She after all was most familiar with his routine out of all her maids. Defne was mostly her ears and eyes and would be with the twins. Huma had come for her as requested, after all everyone needed a good companion. 

It wasn't until two days later that Gülnihal was called by the sultan, she dressed into a stunning gold dress with very finely done golden embroidery. The skirts were long and lay on the floor like a trail of gold as she walked. Her jewelry was almost nothing apart from a gold necklace. A simple but pretty look

Defne escorted her and stayed behind as she entered. She would leave after a few minutes it seemed. 

Without any hesitation she ran right into his waiting arms, they kissed and he released her a second later. A smile on his face.

" My love I've missed you so much"! She said, her time light and full of love. 

He cradled her face in his palms and kisses her once more. His blue eyes had darkened. 

That night and the following night she spent in the sultans arms, his whole attention on her. 

The morning of the second night she lay in bed as Suleiman worked. He had awoken early and had set to work. 

Instead of sitting in silence or leaving she opted to start a conversation. It was time she got something she desired.

" My sultan I had a request if you do not mind" 

"Hmm" was his response as he continued to go through paperwork and write something. 

Gülnihal took a breath, remembering what her mother used to say, 

' ripe the bandage off fast, the more you hesitant the more irritated you'll become" so she did just that.

" Suleiman my chambers are not big enough. Our children are growing and Ahmed has started to run around a lot. As you already noticed, my chambers are a little smaller than the other Sultanas".

That caught his attention, looking at her he told her to pick a room she liked and that he would have it ready for her, she laughed and took her chances. What was the worst thing to happen? Rejection.

" I had a room in mind....if you find it appropriate that is" 

" Name it" was all he said.

" Suleiman if you do not mind I have seen Hatice Sultana's chambers unoccupied for months. Ahmed also loved the room whenever he visited her".

The sultan nodded as if to say he understood, then he turned his back on her. 

" I will think about it " was all he said.

Gülnihal only nodded, hopefully he agreed.

After breakfast she went to visit mahidevran who was much better it seemed. 

They spoke awkwardly, the two didn't hate each other also did not love each other. Both fully aware of the threat and danger the other possed. 

After her visit she took her son in the garden and watched him play, his brother Mustafa joined shortly with gulsah who bowed stiffly. Such loyalty she thought in amusement.