chapter 19

New story: the sultan and I

5 years later....

Gülnihal rose from her bed of red silken sheets, rubbing her eyes she attempted to wake up to begin her day.

Today marked five years of marriage with Suleiman, five years since she gained her freedom back. She never imagined this day would come let alone this life yet fate played it's game in mysterious ways.

To celebrate this day she had organised a festive within the harem, the sultan had agreed and the valide after some hesitation also permitted it. The elder sultana had been enraged by the marriage and had made Gülnihal's days a living hell. 

Her constant mocking and sarcastic insults rubbed salt in her already bleeding wounds. This same woman had liked her once she thought. But it seemed that the years of patience worked in Gülnihal's favour, the valide had come around slightly and behaved less hostile with her. 

Thankfully she wouldn't be joining them in this celebration, she would be visiting her daughter Hatice sultana and would return late, the Sultans sister surprisingly held no ill feelings towards her and had acted as if nothing has changed. 

That day Gülnihal dressed in dramatic red dress with delicately done embroidery on the shoulders, sleeves and skirts of the gown. She wore her favourite crown of sapphire rubies and diamond ontop of her freshly curled hair. Looking in the mirror she smirked as a matching necklace was placed on her. 

" You look absolutely stunning sultana! A vision of elegance and grace. The sultan will fall in love with you once more"! Praised her new maid Emel. Gülnihal thanked her and then rose to slip her shoes on and discuss the organisation of the event.

Defne and Zehra had joined them at this point as the sultana gave out her orders.

" Defne please check on the kitchen staff and make sure everything is made as I have requested. Oh! Also keep a eye on the harem, make sure nothing goes wrong"

The woman nodded and left to fulfill her tasks, she then turned to zehra who waited for her command.

" Please dress the children in the new clothes I ordered. Halima in the light red and the boys in their black kaftans". 

The woman nodded and with Emel she went to dress the little sultana and sehzade's. 

Half an hour later everyone was ready and the mother and children set off to the harem. Today would be perfect she thought as she entered the harem, no one could ruin today for her! 

" Thank you sultana for this feast, we are greatful truly" said a random concubine, Gülnihal held the kind gentle sultana smile on her face as she spoke and gossiped with her friends and kalfas. 

But then in walked her rivals, mahidevran sultana who wore a ivy green dress, her hair in a complicated braided hairstyle that left some waves free on her shoulders. Mustafa  had accompanied her and went to play with his siblings as well as Gulbahar who sat with her mother. 

Halima and Gulbahar had never gotten along as they grew up, strangely it was with Mihrimah who she got along with. The two would often search each other out to play. This had supried both mothers who assumed that the girls would simply not get along. 

Yet Gülnihal couldn't allow her daughter to misbehave in front of the concubines who loved spreading gossip and rumours. 

" Halima say hello to your sister and do try to get along with her. Just for a while"? 

Her daughter rolled her eyes but Gülnihal gave her a sharp look, silencing any protests or arguments. The girl acted as if her mother demanded her to spend every second of the day with her sister. 

Halima got up and went to her sister, they awkwardly spoke for a few minutes until her daughter returned and sat with her brothers. Gülnihal chuckles silently and went back to talking with the other women.

While the desserts were being brought hurrem and her children walked in. Halima practically ran towards Mihrimah and the two hugged each other tightly, Gülnihal watched as they sat In a corner of the harem and began chatting as if no one else was in the room. The boys joined their brothers in their own discussion. 

Hurrem cleared her throat and Gülnihal put her attention back onto the red head. 

She was wearing a blue sequence dress with her hair out free of any jewellery. Gülnihal bite her lip to hide her laugh, she was reminded of the time last year in which hurrem ordered a large golden crown to be made for herself, it had rubies and diamonds pilled on it. She wore it during a harem festive and the valide was outraged by the bold display, she never wore it again and it seemed she wasn't planning on wearing it anytime soon. 

The woman sat down a seat away from her rival and was offered a plat of cake, the cake was red in colour and had a layer of soft cream ontop of it as well as pomegranate seeds. Hurrem rejected it and took a sweet drink instead. 

Then the awkward conversation started 

" You look wonderful Gülnihal, the red suits you well"

" Thank you my sultana, as do you. The blue brings out your eyes "

Mahidevran sultana sat watching not adding her own insight, the years had made the older women less whiney more observent and mindful of her tounge unlike hurrem who remind the same. It was a mystery on what was going on in the head of the sultana at times.

As Gülnihal looked around aschurrem continued to speak. As if they were not surrounded by others. 

" Yet I do not remember you favouring the colour my sultana, you normally support less dramatic colours I believe" 

Gülnihal laughed at this and smiled showing her white teeth in the process.

" Red is the colour of love hurrem and today I celebrate marrying the man I love". 

Hurrem flinched and nodded but it was as if she wasn't done just yet, she mirrored Gülnihal's smile and said In a soft tone

" True yet it could also symbolise rage, danger and....bloodshed"

Gülnihal frowned, was this woman crazy? She got all this from the colour of Gülnihal's clothing as if it was a declaration of war. Smiling stiffly she attempted to end the discussion on colours and move onto happier things.

" You may be correct but I believe colours have more than one meaning, it is the intention that matters the most though"

Without waiting for her response she waved her hands and said in a bubbly sweet voice 

" Now let's have some music and dancing! I might even join you "

The festivities resumed and Gülnihal tried to forget the red haired woman's words and opted to speak to the more silent of the two. 

the evening was filled with joy and everyone had a good time she thought as the dishes were taken away and Gülnihal said her goodbyes. 

And her night was filled with passion and love in the arms of Suleiman. 

A/n: hi, I hope y'all are having a wonderful day/night! So I'm working on a story on mahidevran once again lmao. It's a forbidden love story and I'm struggling to find a face claim for my her love interest, I'd appreciate if y'all could give me some suggestions!