chapter 12

The sultan had arrived in the morning and Gülnihal had been aching to meet her beloved son. Oh how she missed her Ahmed and longed to hug him, the valide had laughed when she took her son from his father and Hatice said that she was far too protective. 

This made all three favourites look shocked and slightly confused. For once they all had the same thoughts and opinions. Was Hatice naive or did she just not think before speaking. As a mother herself how could she say things like that, it was beyond Gülnihal's thoughts as she laughed off her unwanted comments. 

As she was leaving she met Hurrem's eyes, the red haired sultana to found the comment ridiculous since they all had the same reaction when they saw their sehzades. She gave a light eye roll in the direction of the blood sultana, her lips pulled into a frown. Gülnihal smiled at this, at least they had something in common. 

But without further incidents the two women left the room after the valide dismissed them. Apparently she had news for the sultan only. Gülnihal had a feeling she new what exactly this news is. 

In her chambers she sat Ahmed down and announced that he would need to bath then dress into another kaftan. He argued in his broke words but complied. 

Zehra hatun had escorted him and when she returned Gülnihal began her motherly interrogation. Honestly she could not help it she hadn't seen her sweet darling boy in weeks and wanted to know if he had been alright. 

" Yes sultana, sehzade Ahmed had a lovely time and he was completely fine. He did ask for you occasionally but was fine once his father took over"

Thanking her Gülnihal gifted the hatun a pair of crystal earrings, a reward for taking care of her son so well. The hatun blushes and left to take care of other business. She then called defne, her little spy 

" Did you find anything? Any information on what is to happen tonight" 

The woman nodded and responded in a hushed tone, they couldn't help it even the walls had ears it seemed.

" Daphne hatun will be seeing the sultan tonight. He has agreed to see her". 

" Just like that? Without any arguments or anything " 
The hatun nodded and Gülnihal bite her lip as she tried to process the information. It wasn't as if she was jealous, she wasn't and she never would be. But she also did not want this Daphne near Suleiman. Couldn't even comprehend the thought of it.

" Daphne bring me some sweet tea and take Ahmed to the gardens. Read him a story or something. I don't wish to be disturbed tonight unless important". 

The woman nodded and Gülnihal picked up her twins and began singing them a lullaby. The sight of her babies calmed her and she put them back down once the song was finished. 

The night was long and Gülnihal barley slept well. Instead she tossed and turned. Her eyes grew heavy yet sleep did not follow. When she finally dozed off she was awaken by a loud scream. 

The scream awoke not only her but her children. Still young they got frightened easily and started to cry. Thankfully Dafne and zehra comforted the twins whilst she her Ahmed. It took a while before they settled down and she only went to check what happened once they were asleep once more.

" What happened? What is this dreadful noise "? She asked a kalfa as she entered the corridor. 

The kalfa then broke the news, news she had been waiting for, for weeks. Nervous butterflies fluttered in her stomach as she listened.

" Sultana hurrem sultana woke up with red rashes all over her body. It was all over her arms and neck. Poor sultana they looked awful" 

Gülnihal blinked then slowly nodding she walked back to her chambers and had the door closed. Dafne asked if everything was alright with a concerned zehra behind her. Without making eye contact she spoke, her voice hushed and low.

" No, hurrem is sick" .