Chapter 2 - Shes Not Afraid

Davie

I was so exhausted from unpacking. I finally changed into some pajamas and laid across my bed with a book I had been meaning to read.

"Are you seriously going to bed?" Celeste asked. She had changed into a flowy skirt and sandals and was fixing her hair in the long mirror on the back of the bathroom door.

"I'm just tired from unpacking. Where are you going?" I asked, sitting up and closing my book.

"The new year Bon fire of course. The whole university goes." She said. I scrunched my eyebrows.

"I didn't even know about it." I said.

"Well get dressed, we still have a few minutes." Celeste says as she applies lip gloss. I smile at her in the mirror and jump off my bed and skip over to my closet.

I wanted to enjoy all the perks of college. Even if a Bon fire was normally something I wouldn't go to.

I pulled on a pair of black jean shorts and a white Red Hot Chili Peppers band tshirt. I took my hair down and tousled it around, not wanting to waste too much time.

"Okay, I'm ready." I said smiling at my room mate again.

"Um okay. If you say so." She grabbed my hand and walked me into the hallway. We talked the whole way to the Bon fire, Celeste and I will most likely get along just fine. We are different, but we also like some the same music and movies.

The fire was huge and in full swing by the time we got there. People were drinking from red solo cups and beer cans.

"You guys made it!" Luke shouted to us as he walked over, stumbling a bit.

"Wasted already, are we Lucas?" Celeste says crossing her arms and glaring at her brother.

"I'm not wasted, shut up." He playfully pushes Celeste and smiles at me.

"Hi Davie." He says, my eyes are focused on his lips and my brain is focused on what it would feel like to kiss his lip ring, so I don't hear what he says.

"Earth to Davie." He snaps his fingers and a jump.

"Shit, sorry. Um, hi Luke." I say nervously.

"You look pretty." He says stepping closer to me.

"Oh, thanks. You do too." It slips out before I know what I'm saying. Such an idiot. Luke laughs loudly, it's a nice sound.

"Glad I'm pretty." He says between laughs. My cheeks are burning.

"You're embarrassing her, Luke. Shut the hell up!" Celeste says.

"No, it's okay. It was dumb to say." I rub the back of my arm nervously. Luke hugs me tightly, he smells so good and he's so tall.

"I'm sorry Davie. It was adorable." He says.

"Thanks.." I say into his shoulder.

"You guys should meet my roommates! Come on!" Luke says, grabbing my hand and pulling me through the crowd.

"Guys! Come meet my sister and her roommate!" He yells towards some people standing in a circle. Two of them look over and walk towards us.

"Hello there, I'm Ashton." The first one says. His hair is sandy blonde and crazy curly. His smile is wide and bright and I instantly love him. I can tell he has an accent.

"I'm Davie." I shake his hand but he pulls me into a hug.

"What did you say?" The other guy asks from behind me. His voice almost cracked as he said it.

I turned to him, his eyes were dark and his hair was even darker. He was tall and had the most beautiful arms I've ever seen. My eyes made their way to his lips, such familiar looking lips.

"I uh, said my name is Davie." I said again. Still staring at me.

"I only know one person with that name...and it..it can't be you..." He runs his hand though his hair. His accent is wonderful. Why do I feel like I know this person?

"Do I know you?" I say stepping towards him. He looks as though he's seen a ghost.

"Jesus Christ." He paces back and forth.

"What's your name?" I ask, getting frustrated.

"Calum. It's Calum, Davie." He says barely above a whisper. The whole world stopped in that moment. I felt my mouth fall open as I stared at him and he stared back. Not saying anything else. It was him. My best friend that haven't seen in ten years. I could feel tears threatening to spill over.

"Um, you guys know each other?" Luke said. But I could barely hear him.

"Davie, don't cry." Calum whispered, and I could hear him loud and clear. I couldn't hold back any longer, I shot across the distance between us and jumped into his arms.

He immediately wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up as he buried his face in my neck. I could feel my chest heaving as he held me tighter.

"I'll take that as a yes." Luke said. But I ignored him completely.

"Oh god, Calum. It's really you?" I sobbed into his shoulder. I knew I was leaving a wet patch on his shirt but he didn't seem to care.

"It's me. I promise." He said into my hair. I pulled my face from his shoulder, my make up must of been everywhere. I put my palms against his cheeks and touched his face. I had to know this was real. I ran my fingers up and down his face and over his jaw, he closed his eyes at my touch.

"I can't believe it's you. You're here." I whispered. He rested his forehead to mine.

"I missed you, love." He says. And I can't help but giggle and sniff my nose. I use the back of my hand to wipe the tears off my face.

"I didn't think I would ever see you again, what are you doing here?" I asked, still half crying.

"School of course. This guy here convinced me to leave Australia with him and get the American education." He said pointing to Ashton. I loved Ashton even more now.

I hugged Calum again, afraid he would disappear if I stopped touching him.

"I just...I'm so happy you're here." I breathe.

"Me too." He says pulling my body flush against his.

"You look the same, and so different at the same time." I said as I took a step back to look at him again.

"You're beautiful." Calum said. And I think he may have regretted it, because he immediately shifted his eyes to the ground.

My cheeks burned. It was so different to see him grown up. He isn't the little boy I grew up with anymore. He's a man..and he's..for lack of a better word..hot.

"Come on guys, let's go get drink or something." Celeste said.

"Do you want a drink?" Calum asked me.

"Sure. That would be great." I smiled. Our group of friends started walking together towards the kegs. Calum walked next to me and very carefully linked his fingers with mine. I bit my lip to try and hide my smile.

"I don't want to lose you...here. Ya know?" He said.

"I know what you mean." I said.

I don't want to lose him ever again.