Chapter 20 - Just Not In That Way

Hi!!! The reads picked up a little on this one, which makes me beyond thrilled. Also, I've started an Ashton fanfic called Wanderlust. Check it out! Calum's arms in the picture will be the death of me. Ugh.

Davie

I could barely breathe as I ran down the steps of Calum's dorm building. Did that just really happen? Please tell me I'm still sleeping. This has to be a nightmare.

The tears keep rolling down my cheeks as I sob and fumble on the stairs. When I reach the bottom, I bump into someone and stumble back.

"I'm so s..sorry." I cry and try to move past them.

"Davie? What's the matter?" Luke says, his hands on my shoulders trying to steady me.

"I can't be here. I have to leave." I sniffle my nose and furiously wipe at my eyes.

"You can't drive when you're this upset. Let me drive you home." He offers, rubbing my arms.

"Okay." My chest heaves and gets tight. I feel broken and betrayed.

Luke leads me to his car and helps me get in. He walks around to his side quickly. Right as he closes his door, Calum comes running out of the building, still pulling a shirt over his head. He bangs on my window repeatedly.

"Davie, don't do this. Please just talk to me." Calum says while the window is still up. I look at him for a split second, and feel the sobs coming up my throat again.

"Please just drive, Luke." I whisper. Luke puts the window down only enough so the Calum can hear him.

"She doesn't want to talk to you, man. Get away from my car." Luke tells him calmly.

"If you touch her, I'll kill you." Calum said between clenched teeth.

"I don't think you're in a position to make threats, Hood." Luke smirked at him. Calum clenched his jaw tightly.

"Davie, please. I'll take you home, I won't touch you. Just don't leave with him." Calum begged through the small opening of the window.

"Bye Calum." I whispered, before rolling the window up and sinking into my seat. Calum banged his fists against the top of the car before he gripped his fingers into his hair and stepped away.

I could still see him in the rear view mirror as Luke pulled out of the parking lot. It only crushed the shards of my heart floating around in my chest even more.

Anyone who says heart break isn't a sickness, has obviously never truly experienced it. I feel sick, like my body will never recover. It feels like my bones have liquified and that there's just nothing left of me.

Luke pulled up to my apartment a few minutes later, parking the car and walking around to my door.

"Should I walk you up?" He asked sweetly.

"No. Thanks for driving me. Bye Luke. I gave him a small smile and walked inside my building, wrapping my arms around myself and not looking back at him.

After my shaky hand finally got the key turned in the door, I got inside, pressing my back against the door and sliding down it, the sobs coming harder now.

"Davie!? Oh my god, what happened?" Alex comes running from her room, sliding to the floor and grabbing me into a hug.

I fisted her shirt into my hands and sobbed into her shoulder.

"It's over." I got out between cries.

"What? Jesus, what happened? What did he do to you? I'll kill him, I swear.." Alex chokes up a little as she holds me closer.

"Celeste...was in his room when I went to see him." I cried.

"What!? I'll kill her too. I knew that bitch was bad news." She strokes my hair trying to calm me down.

"He cheated...he slept with her. I trusted him, Alex. God, I loved him. I made him my world and this is what I get." I could barely catch my breath anymore.

"Ssshh. It's going to be okay. You can get through this." She tells me softly. My cries slowly start to die down as Alex continues to comfort me.

"What am I going to do? I feel so broken."

"You're going to feel like shit for awhile. Maybe even a long time, but eventually, the pain is going to stop, and you're going to find someone who will never, ever do this to you." She says.

"It was him. He was my one person. I don't know if I can get over this."

"Yes you can. And you will. But for now, let's get you into some pajamas, and into bed." She stands and helps me to my feet, stumbling a bit as she does.

"Are you okay?" I ask. Sniffling my nose again, trying to even out my breathing.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry okay? Go lie down." She smiles, so I turn to go to my room.

When I get there I don't bother changing, I just plop down on my stomach, face down, on my bed.

My phone starts buzzing on my side table, I roll over and grab it. It's Calum. I push the end button but it just starts ringing again. After three more times I just turn it off completely.

My body is so drained, physically and emotionally. That I think I pass out instead of fall asleep.

******************************************

The next morning, I throw up my dirty hair, and put on the biggest pair of sweatpants I can find.

Alex let me borrow her car, because I didn't want to risk going close to Calum's dorms again. So I took her car, and started driving home. Towards the one place I knew I'd find comfort right now.

I walked in the door of my mothers house, instantly feeling a bit of relief. I ran my hands over some of the old picture frames hanging on the wall.

"Davie? Is that you, sweetheart?" My mom says, walking out of the kitchen with a crazy colored apron wrapped around her.

"Hi mom." I try to force a smile.

"Oh honey, what's the matter?" She walks over and engulfs me in her arms.

I cry into her shoulder, and I honestly thought I couldn't possibly have any tears left, yet they kept coming.

As best I could, I explained to her what had happened. I told her how I felt about him, I told her everything.

"Honey, that just seems fishy to me." My mom says when i finish.

"Fishy? He had another girl in his room!" I say exasperated.

"But everything you've told me about that girl is off. I know it hurts love, but I just think maybe you should hear him out. You care about each other far too much to not listen to what he has to say."

"I'm not interested in what he has to say." I fold my arms over my chest.

"Davianna, stop being so stubborn. Do you love him?" She asks.

"So much." I breathe out.

"Then you owe it to yourself, to at least hear him out. There's no need to make him suffer."

"How will I know if he's tell the truth?" I ask.

"You're heart will tell you. You'll just know. Love is simple, Davie. People are the ones who make it complicated. You've got to decide for yourself if he's worth it." She explains. She always has something wise and fitting to tell me. I take a deep breath and release it slowly.

"Okay. I'll..I'll give him a chance to talk."

"Good. Now, how about dinner and cupcakes?" She kisses my forehead and heads to the kitchen. Leave it to my crazy, eccentric, loving mother to put the first smile on my face since yesterday.

Later, I would call Calum and tell him we had to talk. I would listen and decide for myself what the truth was.

I just hope I don't end up being the fool here.