Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Toothless, Hiccup, and Maaran all sat quietly by the fire watching as Azora peacefully slept next to them. Hiccup kept on glancing over to Maaran as if in admiration but in actuality, he was in pure wonderment of the the older dragon and what his connection was to Azora. Toothless was curious about him as Hiccup but he kept his thoughts and questions to himself until Maaran was settled enough to allow it.

"You both are curious." Maaran's voice gently rumbled in Norse making both Hiccup's and Toothless' look to him in shock and disbelief making him chuckle.

"You...can talk?" Hiccup asked, his eyes wide. Toothless was just as shocked but whacked Hiccup lightly at the blunt question making Hiccup glare lightly at him.

""Yes I can."

"But Toothless-"

"Your friend is too young to learn how to do this ability and very few dragons learn before they pass into the Hiryur Haefen."

"The what?"

"It is called the Dragon Shelter, a place where dragons go when they finally pass in this world. I am one of the few who has lived long enough to learn the ability to talk to humans."

Hiccup nodded. "Azora is hurting more than she lets on isn't she?"

Maaran looked at his daughter and sighed deeply. "Toothless told me of what had happened to cause her physical injuries and while she will recover from some of her injuries, the turmoil that dwells within her mind will always stay with her unless she learns to let go of all of it."

Hiccup and Toothless looked at each other and then at Azora in concern and sadness. "We tended to her physical injuries the best we could but she did hurt her wing again from the panicked state she went into from seeing my dad."

"That injury is able to heal along with her leg but some wounds can never be truly healed." Maaran looked at them. "In some ways I could sense when my daughter is in pain because I did a slight spell to monitor her well being but that was when she lived with me and it had long worn off by now. I am fortunate to have seen Toothless when I did and not later."

Hiccup smiled. "Toothless seemed to know that Azora needed something but I had no idea it would be another Nightfury let alone one that could talk."

"She said she needed her father and told me the direction to go it." Toothless said.

"And so you did without question." Maaran said.

"She will still need more help than what you can provide I think though."

"I agree with you completely."

Hiccup sighed. "It's really hard to follow a conversation if I don't understand both sides you know."

Maaran looked at Hiccup closely before he leaned in close to him and Toothless with a serious look in his eyes. "I can enable you to understand dragons if you would like young Hiccup. Magic is usually taxing to the dragon but I have stored enough to allow a few spells. Small ones are all I can really do now but they are helpful in many ways."

Hiccup was wide eyed and staring at Maaran in disbelief. "Y-you can do that?" Hiccup whispered.

"All dragons have the ability to do some type of magic but most do not have the proper teacher so most do not learn. Toothless could have given you the ability to talk to dragons if he had known how to do so."

Hiccup looked over at Toothless who just looked confused at the prospect of being able to do magic of any kind. "Alright." Hiccup said. "I would be honored to be given the ability to understand the dragon language."