Two

The woman puts her hand in the bowl, which has many names in it, and pulls out one. She walks over to the microphone and says, "Holly Mae Carter."

I feel my heart racing fast, pounding in my chest. I heard the loud gasps. Everyone knows this little girl's life has been sentenced to death. Holly Mae looks around at everyone confused and slowly walks up towards the stage. I hear her mother screaming and crying. I look over and see her running towards her daughter but the peacekeepers won't let her through.

"Mommy?" Holly Mae calls out, confused.

I feel the tears rush to my eyes and I watch as this little girl is ripped away from her family. Holly Mae is walking slowly towards to stage, but keeps stopping, looking back at her mother who is now on her knees, devastated. My head is racing and I'm looking around trying to see if there's a way I could get Holly Mae out of here. But there is no way I could get Holly Mae out of here. We would be shot on sight, and that's if I even get to her. I feel my legs moving and I'm out of the row in the middle of the isle now. I walk towards Holly Mae, who is now staring back at me. The peacekeepers grab me, restraining me from moving any further. I panic as I realize she will never see her mother again.

"I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" Comes out of my mouth faster than I can think.

The woman says, "District 12's first volunteer! Come up to the stage, girl."

Holly Mae is escorted back to her mother and I walk up the stage where I am greeted by the woman. "What is your name, dear?"

"Ashe. Ashe Barrette," Croaks out of my mouth.

"Let's give a round of applause for Ashe Barrette!"

The crowd stares up at me, with sadness in their eyes. I share the same sadness they have and we both have hopelessness. I scan around the crowd, looking for my mother, but I don't see her. The crowd just looks blurry and I think it's because I can't think straight. I can't think about anything. I am in shock that my time could be coming to an end soon.

"Now the boys," the woman says.

She puts her hand in the bowl and pulls out a name. She walks over to the microphone and announces, "Dean Harrison."

I have known Dean since we were both little. We are the same age. Dean is a nice guy and also treats me with kindness. He is someone who has the potential to win the games. He is very tall, one of the tallest in our district. Probably 6'3. He towers a whole foot over me. He is also very muscular. I know he chops a lot of wood for people in our area, for fires. A lot of people give him bread and meat in exchange, since their bodies are so small and brittle. They wouldn't be able to cut as much wood as he. He also has black hair, that seems to give off a muddy brown color in the light. He also has brown eyes, which are very nice to look at. Looking into his eyes gives you peace. We have been friend for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm in love with him, or even have romantic feelings. But he is someone I enjoy spending my time with. I guess I've always thought we would end up together. Just because we get along so well and there isn't a huge pool to pick from. But clearly since we're both going to the games, both of us aren't coming out of it alive. So I will never know what could have been. And from what I think, he could win this thing.