Thirty-One

I wake up in Coriolanus' warm arms under the white sheets which are so warm. I look at Coriolanus who is fast asleep and it warms my heart to see him at peace. His curly hair, which is all over the place, looking cute. I admire his sharp cheekbones and strong jawline. I look down at his muscular chest and strong arms, around me. He is such a beautiful human.

Sadness creeps in, thinking about how I sold my soul to the devil. I think about how I won't have any control over my body, but I'm doing it for him. Maybe it won't be as successful as she hopes and it'll end. I also think about how upset Coriolanus would be if he found out. I never want to hurt him like that. I never want him to think of me as a slave or even worse, unfaithful.

I see his eyes flutter open and his deep blue eyes look into mine.

"Good morning," he says.

"Good morning," I say.

"Are you ready for today?" He asks.

"Yeah I am." I say, smiling. "I'm also a little nervous. What if people don't agree with us being together?"

"They will," he says while tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. "It's the forbidden love of mentor and victor. The people are going to love it."

"We better get ready soon." I say.

Coriolanus lays back on his side of the bed and groans. He then takes his pillow and starts hitting me with it.

"Hey!" I squeal out.

We both laugh and I start hitting him back with my pillow. Feathers are flying everywhere and it looks like we're sitting on a cloud.

——————-

Coriolanus and I wait in the back while Caesar does his introduction. And of course, the crowd absolutely loves him. Today my designer team decided to have me wear a white dress. It's a very simple dress. It has long sleeves and the dress goes down to my knees. They also have me wear nude color heels. They want me to look innocent, like I could do no wrong. Which of course, isn't true, but the audience would buy it. Coriolanus holds my hand with his, squeezing mine a little tight to let me know he's there. He knows how nervous I am if this does not go well. He's capitol and I'm district. If things go poorly, he would be let off the hook and people would just say it was a phase. As for me, I would be named a whore, a she devil of district 12.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for our dear, Mr. Snow and Ms. Barrette!"

The crowd cheers and Coriolanus and I enter the stage, smiling and waving to people as we pass by. We take a seat on the couch together next to Caesar.

"So, we are all dying to know, when did this little spark come to light?" Caesar asks, with his vivacious attitude.

"We really got to know each other during the tour and I just couldn't stay away from her. I was like a moth drawn to a flame, drawn to her." Coriolanus says, looking at me and holding my hand.

The crowd goes awe, loving what Coriolanus has to say. Coriolanus didn't necessarily lie, but he definitely wasn't telling the truth which is for the better. We started falling in love before the games. Of course nothing happened except for that kiss, but the feelings were there.

"That is truly marvelous. Ms. Barrette, when did you start to develop romantic feelings for Mr. Snow?" Caesar asks.

"Of course, the attraction was there the entire time. But I would have to say we got close on tour, especially being on the train together for some time."

"And Ms. Barrette, how did your finance, Eric, take the news?" Caesar asks.

"Well I never really got the chance to tell him." I say.

"So you just up and left the wedding?" Caesar asks.

"Yes. I didn't even make it to the ceremony. All I know was that I couldn't live without Coriolanus. He was the man I wanted to be with."

The crowd continues to awe.

"Your story is matching up perfectly with what we heard." Caesar replies. "We actually received news of your arrival yesterday. In your wedding dress and everything."

An image pops up on the screen behind us and it's me. It's me running down the streets of the Capitol. With my white, wedding dress and dirty feet. You especially see how pale my skin is in this photo. Another image pops up and it's me and Coriolanus embracing into each other's arms.

The crowd goes nuts in excitement.

"They love it! They absolutely love it!" Caesar roars.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Coriolanus and Ashe. The couple who could never be, but found a way."

The crowd claps and cheers. It went better than I thought it was going to. Now we have an after party later tonight we must attend.