Eight

I walk into the training center, wearing the clothes that were provided. Which for me was a one piece jumpsuit romper bodysuit. The entire thing is black and the bottom are shorts and the top is a long sleeve. It is also tight and fits me snug, showing off any curves I have. I've never worn anything so flattering, showing off my body before. Everything in district I've worn has been overly big on me. I didn't realize I have boobs until now.

Daniel also walks in with me. He is also wearing a jumpsuit, expect his isn't as tight as mine. And his is the opposite where he's wearing pants and has a short sleeve. 'Sexism at its finest,' I think to myself. There are different stations where you can do different things. A lot of people are in line for the physical combat training. I can't entirely blame them for that. I scan the room and the other stations don't seem to be useful to me. I know how to make a fire and I know a lot about different plants and berries. The physical combat training is probably what I need. I decide to hop in line, just like everyone else.

When it's finally my turn, the instructor helps me with some basics. I didn't realize the importance with how you stand. She also shows me how to give a powerful punch and how to defend myself. She told me to always protect my face and neck. I wish I would've gotten to learn more, but this is only day one. I don't even think tributes had training in the past, not that I'm aware of anyway. I guess they really are trying to put on a show.

Daniel and I walked back to our living quarters and ate dinner together. Of course the peacekeepers were there too, in silence. They're always there, lurking where we are. They go everywhere we go. I think their job is to make sure we don't run away or hurt anyone; the obvious.

"What's going on with you and Snow?" Daniel asks, breaking the silence.

"Snow?" I ask.

"You know? Your mentor. Coriolanus Snow. He's a snake you know? You better watch out or he'll bite you."

"Daniel, where is this coming from?"

"My mentor told me he's a snake and that he'll get you killed. She also told me that he doesn't care about you and will use you and toss you aside when he's finished."

Those words really hurt. Maybe Coriolanus didn't care about me in a romantic way, but I feel like he respects me as a person and wants me to survive from the goodness of his heart.

I get up from the table and say, "I can't talk about this now."

I head upstairs and Daniel follows me.

"Ashe! Ashe, stop! Can we talk about this?"

"There's nothing to talk about, Daniel."

I enter my room and try to shut my door, but Daniel slams his arm in the way pushing the door back. I take a couple steps back and he walk into the room, slamming the door shut.

"Daniel, you're scaring me."

"I just want to talk is all."

"Talk about what? I don't understand."

"We were getting close until Snow came into the picture! We could've been together, at least for this short while and instead your spending all your time with him!"

I can tell Daniel is getting angry and I'm thinking on how to diffuse the situation. I have never seen Daniel like this before and it's very scary to see. He has never been this angry or aggressive towards me better. He has always been sweet and gentle. I don't even recognize who he is anymore.

He takes a couple steps towards me and I take a few steps back until I hit the wall. He walks closer to me and is inches from my face now. He puts one arm above me, resting his hand on the wall and the other caressing my cheek. I can feel my whole body start to shake and I try not to cry, but I am terrified.

"I just want us to be together. We were suppose to be together. Just me and you." He closes his eyes and take a big breath in and breathes out slowly. "God, you smell so good."

I can feel my eyes tearing up and a single tear slides now my face. "Shhh don't cry," he says wiping the tear away. "I can make everything better."

He leans in and kisses me. What turns into a peck, turns into him kissing me deeply. I try pulling away, but I hit my head on the wall and he doesn't stop.

I pull away and cry, "Daniel please stop." He doesn't listen to me and doesn't stop. I try moving my face away but he aggressively moves my face back. I start crying hysterically and yell, "Stop! Stop it!" He doesn't stop, so I slap him across the face...hard. He stops abruptly and stares at me. He touches his face and looks at his hand, seeing blood. I scratched his face.

He looks back up at me and looks angrier than before. He grabs me by my shoulders and slams me on the bed. He starts to crawl on top of me and grabs both of my arms, pinning them above my head. I scream, "help!" And he headbutts me, leaving me dazed. My brain can't process anything that happening. My body is laying there, in shock, unable to move. I hear a ringing noise in my ears and stare at the ceiling. I can feel him start to take my jumper off. He only moves my arms to take it off, but then he puts them back. I am laying there in shock, in only my bra and underwear. I can feel him start to take my underwear off when I hear the door slam open, which doesn't even startle me from how dazed I am. Then all of the sudden, he is ripped off of me. But I don't move. I just stare at the ceiling, my arms still in the same position, even though he's no longer holding me down.

I slowly look to my left and see him.

Coriolanus. He came for me.