Ten

I arrive back to my room and there are costume designers there. They all look wild and crazy with their outfits and hair. They're covered in pinks and oranges and other bizarre colors. They sit me down in a chair and do my makeup. They do a great job with my eyes, showing off how green they are. They cover my bruises with make up, which I am thankful for. I don't want to be asked about my traumatic experience on live television. Lastly, they do my hair. And they do it the exact same way it was when I was reaped. Like a little Viking...

"Why didn't you do anything crazy with my hair?" I ask, half joking and half serious.

"Snow, wanted us to do your hair the way it was when you were reaped. He wants the people to see the real you; and besides darling, you look intimidating which is a good thing. Let the other tributes fear you and the crowd want to be you."

I walk over to my bed and see the dress laying out. It's beautiful. It's a long dress that flows down covering my feet, and it has lace long sleeves. The bust is all black lace which traces around my breasts, covering everything but the cleavage. Then there is velvet material that runs up and creates a chocker. The dress is absolutely stunning. I try it on and it fits perfectly.

I am escorted out by the peacekeepers and they bring me over to the entertainment center. I walk into the back of the building where the other tributes are. They all stare at me and there faces are cold stone. I look around and don't see Daniel anywhere. I look over to where I would be entering the stage and notice Coriolanus coming back here. He notices me and smiles.

"You look stunning," he says excitingly.

"Thank you," I say. "I love the dress by the way."

He looks me up and down. "I thought it would suit you. Oh and one last touch !" He pulls out a boutonnière and it's a singular red rose. He pins it in my dress, but not in the way of the design, so everyone can still see how beautiful it is.

"What is this for?" I ask, smiling.

"This is the show that you are my tribute and I am your mentor. I want the whole world to know."

This makes the butterflies in my stomach come back. But what I don't like is how confusing he is. There are times when I see him sweet and gentle like this, then there are times when I see him so violent...consumed with darkness. I'm not sure if I should run or if I should stay.

I look around and see other tributes in their outfits. There are a lot of girls wearing yellow or red dresses. Happier colors I guess.

"Everyone looks so beautiful," I say.

"There costume designers are liars," he says.

I look at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"We were suppose to dress you based off of your personality. Everyone is dressed up in happy colors, but no one is really happy to be here. I don't understand how people would be happy living in poverty..."

I can tell he's talking about himself with his last sentence.

"What does my dress mean?" I ask, changing the subject.

He looks at me and smiles. "You're powerful and mysterious. You're the first person from district 12 to ever volunteer, which makes them already love you."

I smile hearing him say all these things about me.

"Your hair is wild," he laughs a little, grabbing one of my braids. "But I can tell you're an elegant woman and I want them to see that."

"I notice you wear black too. What does it mean for you?" I ask.

He pulls his hand away from my hair and looks a little lost in thought. "I live in the darkness, Miss Barrette."

I look at him, understanding now that he constantly fights between good and evil.

"I just found out that every tribute has someone from home who comes and speaks on their behalf before you get a turn to speak."

This leaves me breathless. The only person I can think of who would is my mother. This news makes me happy. Will I get the chance to see my mother? I really want the chance to say goodbye to her. To give us both closure.

"You look happy," he says.

I give him a small smile. "It'll give me the chance to say goodbye which is what I really need."

Coriolanus heads back towards the stage and says he'll be in one of the front rows. I wait in line and of course I'm last since I'm district 12. I still see Daniel no where in sight. I assume part of his punishment is to not have someone talk on his behalf.

After waiting for a long time I hear them say district 12. A woman walks up to me and says, "we'll let you know when it's time to walk on stage." I look in the television which is in the back, waiting to see my mother.

But it's not my mother.

It's Eric.