Five

Daniel and I were brought over to a building where all the tributes were staying. We were brought up to the twelfth floor, since we were district 12. The peacekeepers escort us to where we will be living. They then post themselves on each side of the elevator, so we can't leave. I look around in awe and am amazed by how beautiful this place is. It's something I could only dream of. The walls are made out of glass so you can see the whole city. And there's a fireplace and what looks like a huge, nice screen above it for television. Daniel and I part our ways looking for our rooms, which are upstairs.

I walk into my room and there's a huge bed in the the back corner, next to a large collection of books. And there's a waterfall in my room. It's not a huge one like you would see in the woods, but it resembles a shower. I have my own huge screen for television in my room. And the walls are the same as downstairs, being completely glass so I can see the city lights. I walk into the bathroom which is connected in my room and see a huge shower. The shower looks like the size of my bedroom in district 12; the sink is also huge. There a mirror above the sink and a full length mirror at the end of the room, next to the toilet. I still can't believe this is all mine, at least for now.

I decide to take a shower and step into the hot water. It feels amazing on my skin. I have never had hot water like this, at least that lasts for this long. Usually if I heated up water over the fire, it would get cold quickly. I wash the blood out of my head and watch it move down my body into the drain. After I'm done showering I hop out and look through the clothes provided for me. I decide to put on a pair of black, soft pants and a dark gray shirt. I also put on some white slippers that were sitting next to my dresser. I go back into the bathroom and comb my hair. I decide to leave it down, wet and wild. I walk downstairs and see Daniel sitting on one of the couches.

"How do you feel?" He asks, chirpy.

"This is the cleanest I've felt in my entire life," I laugh.

"That's how I feel too," he laughs with me. "It's too bad they're only doing this to plumpen us like cattle," he says a bit more serious.

Then that's when reality hit me again. I tried not to think about it, but it's really hard not to. Daniel only reminded me of the reality.

"I don't want to die, but let's just enjoy this while we can," I say

Daniel stands up from the couch and walks over to me, hunching over me. He puts his hands on my arms and leans in closer to me. "I agree. I think we both should enjoy this while we can."

"Enjoy what exactly?" I asked, knowing what he meant.

"Ashe, I have loved you since I first laid eyes on you. You're the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Your soul is full of spirit, which I love. I wish I would have gotten the chance to tell you this sooner, but I didn't have the courage, which I'm regretting."

I just stared at him, unsure of what to say. I don't feel the same way about him, but I am flattered from how he feels about me. Do I break this man's heart? Right before we're tossed into the arena. I don't think I have it in me to do that to him. Do I pretend to love him for this short while? Maybe things will be easier that way. We're already going to have to fight while we're in there, I don't want to fight now. I don't have it in me to fight anymore than I have to. Maybe pretending to love him won't be so bad. Maybe for this short while it'll be peaceful and feel good. And all I want to do is feel good while I still can.

"That makes me feel happy to hear you say that," I lie.

He looked down into my eyes then started looking at my lips. He leaned down more and his lips gravitated closer to mine. They were just about to brush on to one another when we heard a ding from the elevator. We both jump started from the surprise and look over to see my mentor walking out of the elevator.

Coriolanus Snow looks up and stops, puzzled. He starts to smirk and says, "you both look warm and cozy, don't you?"