Twenty-Four

"Hi, Ashe." Coriolanus says, gazing into my eyes.

"Coriolanus." I say, slowly walking down the staircase. My fingers brushing against the arm rail.

"I'm glad to see you looking well," he says, politely.

"To you as well," I say, trying to keep my composure.

He looks away and just so happens to see my engagement ring. His demeanor immediately changes and he looks more cold.

"Are you all packed?" He asks, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Yes. I'm all ready."

"I'll be in the car."

He instantly leaves, leaving me feeling unsettled. I don't understand what has him so upset. He has everything he could ever want and he gets to flaunt around his biggest prize, me. He got what he wanted. He got the money and the fame and power that came with it. I was just a chess piece in his game. I'm the one who deserves to be mad, not him.

The car ride to the train was awkward and silent. We both hadn't said a word to each other. We didn't even look at each other. Two enemies who were once lovers sitting in a little tight car together, how ironic. We hop on the train and I am immediately filled with hugs from the designer team. I met my assistant, Marsali. She is a young girl from the Capitol, maybe sixteen or seventeen years old. Pretty close to my age. Her job is to basically fetch me whatever I ask. But she doesn't have to worry too much, I'm not very high maintenance. I find my room and plop on the bed. It reminds me of the day I was reaped. I look up at the doorway and envision Daniel standing there, before he'd gone mad. Now he's just another ghost on this train, a distant memory rooted at the center of my brain.

I sit out in the commons area, looking out the window; and I see Coriolanus walk in and instantly sees me. He strides over to me and sits down in the chair exactly in front of me, facing me. I can feel him staring at me, like he's trying to look into my soul.

I look up, awkwardly. "Can I help you?"

"Why?" He asks, pointing to my engagement ring.

"What do you mean, why?"

"Why are you still choosing to marry him. You don't love him."

"Because I had to, just in case you forgot."

"No, I didn't forget. I never forgot! I was left at the Capitol while you were frolicking around with him!"

"You were left?" I say, disgusted. "I was forced to come back to the poorest district. You told me you wouldn't allow me to marry him and you lied."

"I never lied."

"Whatever we were was a lie! You only wanted the money!"

"I only wanted you!"

I abruptly get up, angrily walking back to my room. Coriolanus follows me into my room and slams the door shut.

"Don't walk away from me!" He points his finger at me.

"Don't act like you care!" I yell.

"I do care!" He yells, very loudly.

"If you cared about me, you would've came for me."

"I did come for you." He takes a step towards me. "Didn't see you me at the train station?"

"Yeah I did. But why didn't you come for me? In district 12?"

"Because I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."

"I thought I didn't either, but I was wrong. And I was so hurt when I was told you were using me."

"That was before I knew you. All I knew was that I needed to win. My family needed the money and I am so sorry for not caring before, but I care now. I love you."

Tears slip from my eyes, knowing he speaks truth. Tears of happiness. Those three little words that can make my heart stop.

He walks up to me and holds my face, wiping the tears away with his thumbs. I can feel him breathing heavily from the adrenaline of pouring his heart out.

"I knew I loved you when I saw you in that black dress, looking sexy as ever. And your hair with all the braids in it. You looked so beautiful...you still do. I couldn't help how jealous I got when I saw Eric proposing, because I so desperately wanted it to be me."

He kisses me on the lips. It feels so good, my body wants it, I want it. I kiss him back and my adrenaline rushes through my body.

His touch is what my body craves.

I remember Eric and pull away. "I can't," I breathe out.

"Yes, we can." He whispers.

"I'm suppose to marry Eric."

"I can make that go away."