Fifteen

We have another interview today. This time it's the mentors talking about us, describing our strengths and answering any other questions Caesar might have. The costume designing team all pair up and come up with a look so beautiful and elegant. Once again I have a long black dress, but this time there's a slit in the leg. The slit runs down so high that I fear my underwear might show if I move the wrong way. The top of the dress is heart shaped, so once again my cleavage is showing. But it doesn't look trashy, it looks elegant. They have me wear these long black etiquette gloves and a bunch of silver bracelets with small diamonds in them. I also wear a necklace that is small and covered in diamonds. It's a beautiful necklace, it shimmers and the diamonds radiate a certain glow to them. They also have me wear my engagement ring, so that way the whole world can see. Instead of doing my hair like they did last time, they actually just leave it down. But it is curled, even with my hair curled it's very long and goes down to my waist. I am also in back stiletto shoes. The outfit all around looks amazing and it makes me feel like a completely different person. I look like the Capitol's richest of the rich.

I hear a knock on my door and see Coriolanus poke his head in.

"Come in," I say.

He walks in and is staring at me. His eyes don't move an inch away from me.

He smirks, "Wow, you look gorgeous." He looks at the designer team. "Can you guys give us a moment please?"

The designer team packs up their things and walks out. He walks towards me and takes my hands.

"You are too beautiful for me."

I smile, "I've never felt this pretty before."

"You are always this pretty, you just have some extra bling," he winks at me.

He pulls out a red rose boutonnière like he did the last time. He secures it on my dress.

"what does it symbolize?" I ask.

"That we're a team," he smiles. "It's our thing."

I smile at him, radiating with joy.

"Shall we?" He puts his arm out for me to grab.

"We shall," I say, grabbing his arm.

———-

We walk over to the entertainment center and I see the other tributes with their mentors. I hear the music and the buzzing of the crowd waiting inside. We all line up in order of districts. I see Bianca at the very front with her mentor. She looks beautiful as well. She's wearing a short blue dress, which I think suits her hair and eyes very well. The light blue is the same color as her eyes. She looks over and sees me, she smiles and waves. I give a smile back.

We are all escorted inside and are in the back waiting, like we were before. We all watch the television in the back, so we can watch the other tributes. Bianca is first and the crowd loves her. They all whistle and clap for her. Her mentor doesn't seem to know her that well. She answered her strengths pretty well though. But I think her strengths are pretty obvious. After waiting for a long time it's finally me and Coriolanus' turn.

"And please welcome, mentor Coriolanus Snow and tribute from district 12, Ashe Barrette!"

Coriolanus walks me up on stage, I still have my arms wrapped around his. The crowd is going absolutely wild. They are all cheering and whistling. Coriolanus and I sit down on a couch together while Caesar is sitting in the chair next to us.

"You two look comfortable" he exclaims. "What do you all think of this?"

The crowd whistles and claps again, and they roar in celebration.

"Ooh the crowd likes that." Caesar chuckles. "So, Coriolanus, can you start off by telling us some strengths about your tribute?"

"Well she is incredibly intelligent, she possess spatial and emotional intelligence. She's also great when it comes to combat fighting. She's all around a great warrior."

"So I notice your both wearing rose boutonnières. Coriolanus, you're wearing a white one and Ashe, yours is red. Red like Coriolanus' uniform. What does it mean?"

Coriolanus and I look at each other, figuring out what to say.

"It means we're a team," he smiles at me.

Caesar does one of his fake gasps. "I love it! Mentor and tribute together as one, how poetic." Caesar makes the crowd awe in affection. "So Ashe." He looks at me. "There's rumors around about you and a certain tribute. That you butchered your district partner in his sleep."

The memories all flash before my eyes. The day he attacked me, seeing him flogged, and the thought of his cold, butchered body, dead. I look at Coriolanus, unsure of what to say. He looks at me nodding, telling me to say what I have to.

I take in a deep breath and try to put myself into a different mindset. To show no remorse.

I look at Caesar, with a cold, blank expression. "Yes I did."

"How did you do it? Wh-why? Why did you do it?" Caesar asks, confused.

"He just said something that really pissed me off. So I slit his throat in his sleep," I lie.

I hear the crowd mumbling amongst one another. And Caesar looking at me with shock.

"That's pretty brutal," Caesar says.

"The world is a brutal place," I reply, with truth behind it.

Caesar looks over at Coriolanus. "You have a pretty cutthroat tribute."

The crowd laughs from the dark humor. If it hadn't been so dark, if Daniel wasn't dead, maybe it would've been funny. Coriolanus laughed at the joke; I know he's no stranger to darkness.

"Yes, she is," he laughs. "She knows how the world works. She's going to make it."

"Were there any consequences?" Caesar asks.

"Nope. What more is there to do? She's going into the arena, that's punishable enough. Plus, I think everyone agrees having in there will make it an interesting games." Coriolanus replies.

Caesar looks back at me. "A capitol favorite."

Coriolanus puts his hand on my thigh. "She is indeed. If I could, I would bet on her. And I recommend you all in the Capitol to sponsor her. You won't be disappointed."

"Beautiful and deadly," Caesar smirks.