Part 3: The Performer - Thirty

Coriolanus and I embrace each other, clinging on to each other, not wanting to let go.

"I didn't think you were coming," Coriolanus says.

"I'm here." I say, happily.

"Here, let's go upstairs to the penthouse." Coriolanus says.

Coriolanus picks me up off of the ground, holding me with one arm under my legs and the other supporting my back. How a groom would with his bride on her wedding day. It's amusing how it is my wedding day, but it is not my groom who holds me, it's my lover. We make it upstairs and he sets me down on my feet.

"What made you change your mind?" Coriolanus asks.

"I couldn't live without you. All this time, I was miserable without you." I say.

"Can you live this life? The Capitol is different from the districts."

"I thought I couldn't, but I thought about it and I think I can. I think I can live a life like this, with you."

He sighs out in relief. "I'm glad to hear that. There are clothes you can change into in the dresser. I have to go."

He kisses me on the forehead.

"Wait? Where are you going?"

"I promised you wouldn't marry Eric and I'm keeping my promise. I'm going to talk to a friend."

"Dr. Gaul?" I ask.

He sighs out. "I know how you feel about her, but she has so much power and influence. She can help."

He walks out of the penthouse, leaving in the elevator.

Dr. Gaul and I will have a few words to exchange. I wanted to tell Coriolanus about the deal I made with her, but I don't know what the consequences would be. Would she go as far as to hurt Coriolanus? Like Coriolanus said, she's powerful and influential. She isn't someone you cross so easily.

I hear the home phone ringing and curiously I answer.

"Hello, Ms. Barrette."

I recognize the voice and know it's Dr. Gaul's.

"Dr. Gaul." I say.

"Since you're in town, I figured you accepted my proposal. Meet me at my laboratory, but first clean your feet..."

She hangs up the phone and I look around the room and don't see anyone. The fact she knows exactly how I look freaks me out. I do shower and clean the dirt off my feet and the sweat off my body. I change into new clothes and head over to her laboratory hoping Coriolanus won't see me.

————

I walk into her laboratory and look around noticing how white the room is. I also notice all the monstrosities she has in jars and tanks. It gives me a chill down my spine. The last time I saw this room was from above when Coriolanus showed me what she was doing to Daniel.

"I'm so glad to see you came, my dear." I hear Dr. Gail's voice.

"Like I had a choice." I mumble.

"Your beloved Mr. Snow stopped by here not too long ago, professing his love for you, asking to be with you."

"And what did you say?"

"Well of course I granted his wish, knowing you came to your senses. He also stepped down from his position next to me. To lose such...promise."

Coriolanus stepped down from his position for me...He is truly trying to be good for me.

"So what exactly do you want from me?" I ask.

"Well my dear, I already took care of your indiscretion. Tomorrow morning you and Mr. Snow will go live on Caesar's snow to answer questions the people have. It's only fair for my people of the capitol. And of course, you will spend the night with someone when I demand you to. This will bring a huge profit to the Capitol. And of course, this stays between us like you assumed correctly."

"And what if I do tell Coriolanus?" I challenge her.

"Then I will make sure he suffers, greatly." She replies. "So, we have a deal?"

"We have a deal." I reply.

Signing my life away for the man I love.