Fourteen

There is still no sign of Daniel. What are they doing to him? I'm sure some of the other tributes had noticed and are wondering the same thing. It makes me wonder what the capitol is capable of. If they're capable of sending 24 innocent kids to die, then I'm sure they're capable of much more. The thought of them hurting him in brutal ways makes me sick. Especially if they are going to throw him in the arena like Coriolanus said.

I head back to my living quarters and Bianca follows me. Her peacekeepers try to grab her by the arms.

"Hey! Let go of me, sir! You can follow us if you really need to know where I am."

The peacekeepers looked at each other and back to her.

"You can follow me, boss." She says jokingly.

They allow her to come with me. We have four peacekeepers following us which is strange. I don't blame the peacekeepers for following us, they're just doing their job. It's just weird because we're treated like prisoners, which we are, but yet we get to have some freedom of roaming the streets and having friends, which no one really has a whole lot of.

I really like Bianca. She's spunky and has a very sassy attitude. I think she's trying to make the best out of the situation, which I don't blame her. I wish things weren't the way they were. I could see us being really good friends outside of her games. If I don't win, I would really like her to. I also think she has a good chance of winning. She's a great fighter and she's smart too, which is important. I don't see her going on a killing spree, but I think she could hold her own.

"So what's going on with you and the at Eric guy?" She giggles.

"Well we're engaged," I say.

"Well duh, I know that. But like, is the romance all true?"

"Yes and no," I reply. "I still love him. I think I will always have a love for him. But I'm just not in love with him anymore."

She nods her head, like he understands what I mean. "I get that."

"Is there anyone special in your life?" I ask, giggling.

"Yeah there is," she smiles. "His name is Liam. He's the most handsome and strongest man I know. He's my everything."

Liam from district 1, that sounds very familiar. Was he in the games one year? Is that where I've heard of him?

"You probably recognize the name. He won the games two years ago."

"Yeah that's what I was wondering, he did sound familiar. Did you meet before or after he won?"

"We were together when his name was drawn. I was fifteen and he was sixteen. I remember the reaping, I remember everything...I remember the way my stomach dropped when I heard them announce his name. I remember crying hysterically every night because I was scared he wouldn't make it back. But he did, he came back to me."

"Is that how you know how to fight?" I ask.

She shakes her head yes, "Mhm. He taught me some stuff he learned from training, which obviously is useful now. It's funny how the tables have turned. He's going through what I went through. I have to survive, for him."

"I really do hope you get to reconnect with him again. I mean that."

"I know you do," she smiles at me.

———

I arrive to my living quarters and Coriolanus and waiting for me in the living room.

"So how was training?" He asks.

"It went pretty well. I made an ally."

His smiles starts to turn into a frown. "Ashe, you can't do that."

"Why not?" I ask, confused.

"You can't trust anyone. The only person you can trust in there is yourself. They're all going to turn on you."

"I think it would be good to have an ally, at least right away. It's going to be a blood bath in there."

"Do you know what the other tributes call you?"

"What?" I ask, curious.

"The little Viking," he smirks. Gleaming with proudness.

"Nobody says that," I say in disbelief.

"Oh yes they do," he says, nodding his head. "Word is spreading too. It's no longer just the tributes that say that, it's the other mentors and the people in the Capitol. Ashe, you are the capitols top choice."

"Why do they call me that?" I ask.

"Because of Daniel's disappearance. They all believe you to be the one to do it. They all think you cut his throat in his sleep."

I stare at him in disbelief. "The fuck? I didn't do that!"

"I know, but right now it could be good strategy."

"But what about when he is in the games and they see him?" I say, in an obvious tone.

Coriolanus just looks at the ground.

"What?"

He still doesn't look up at me.

"What?!" I demand.

He looks up at me and replies, "Daniel won't be participating in the games."

"Is he dead?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies.

I just stand there for a moment. My old friend is gone. What has the games done to us? We haven't even started yet. It made him crazy and lose his mind and now he's dead because of me. Maybe I shouldn't feel this guilt, but I do.

"How?" I ask.

"His throat was cut."

This sends me into a state of sickness. My eyes start to water and I cover my mouth with my hand as I slowly drop to the ground. I start to cry a little, saddened. The thought of his mother and sister come to mind. His family didn't deserve that.

Coriolanus walks over and rests in his knees as he takes me and holds me into his arms. He strikes my hair and says, "everything is going to be okay."

"It's all my fault," I cry out.

"It's not your fault, I promise you. You didn't have your hands on the blade that took his life."

"I might as well have."

"I know you're sad and scared, but I need you to give the best show of your life. You need to pretend like you did. You need to act like nothing will get in your way of winning. You need to show no remorse."

I open my eyes and stare at the painting on the wall. It's quite beautiful. It has all shades of blues and golds. It reminds me of the sun and water. This painting helps call me down for a moment to gain my thoughts.

I will give the capitol what they want.

A little Viking.