First Blade

イントロアーク

盲目の少年-

~

きれいですね

~

↪"So what's with the name (Y/n)?"

I winced.

Tadashi has known me for a while. He knew that name meant something.

It was shortly past sunset, the day still slightly lit. But Tadashi risked every moment to be out of the crate and beside me. We were heading to the foot of the mountain where Koma confirmed Tanaka was waiting when Tadashi brought up my real name.

"It's . . . a name I heard long ago that I really liked." I said. "I love the name Rumi, after all, your dad practically named me. But (Y/n) is just . . . natural to me."

Tadashi hummed.

"It's a suitable middle name." He said, glancing at me. "Do you want me to call you that from now on?"

I shrugged half-heartedly.

"It doesn't matter Tadashi. Call me whatever you want."

"Ha, okay. Loser-"

"Shut up, I hope you scrape your knee on splinters."

"I hope you get your finger caught in a door."

"I hope you stub your toe on a corner."

"I hope-"

"Well, you two seem to get along well."

I smiled at Tanaka, who was sitting on a rock underneath a tree, a book in hand.

He looked like hot nerd reincarnate. He had one leg crossed over the other, and the rock was at the base of the tree, so he leaned back against the trunk. He had a small basket at his feet which he lifted as he stood and smiled at me, studying Tadashi quietly.

"Tanaka-san, this is my cousin Tadashi Megane. Tadashi, this is Tanaka Himejima. He's offered us aid the rest of the way to grandfather's home." I introduced the two.

Tadashi bowed and Tanaka did the same. It looked much like a giant bending down to see if there was something on the ground, but realized it was nothing and presumed his activities.

"Megane . . . that's interesting. You wouldn't happen to be kin to a Yasaki Megane would you?"

My heart leapt in my throat. Tanaka knew Yasaki?

"Y-Yes!" Tadashi said in surprise. "You know my father?"

"You are his son. I knew it. You have his smile." Tanaka said, giving Tadashi a fond look.

He turned and started to lead the way onto a math that was aimed towards the mountain.

"Yasaki and I were taught by my father in the arts of medicine and healing. Yasaki and my sister were quite close, but he broke her heart by disappearing one day, leaving a note saying he was needed elsewhere." Tanaka sighed. "I never hated him for it, I was just disappointed he and I never got to talk over one last drink."

Tadashi winced.

"Father told me that he once loved a woman he met long ago, but he got Mother pregnant with me, and married her instead. She died when I was little."

I could see emotion welling up in Tadashi as he remembered his family. His father, his mother, his Aunt Saruki, who had been one of the first to die, I'm sure. We never even recovered the bodies.